Newbie - Thinking Of Buying A Westfield...

headshot_harry

Hi all, first post, so want to say hello, and if not to rude, ask an opinion or two...

Westfield Sport Carbon Ltd 1.8 ( Ford Zetec ) 2001, in red with approx 28k miles.

I think it is up for around £8.5k.

Without a full list of specs etc I'm just trying to gauge an initial idea of what a similar car (suggest good condition) might be worth? and also, without sounding daft, roughly what to expect performance wise?

I know the two aren't going to compare much, but my friend has a Caterham R400, and I'm not in a position to afford anything like that (Westfield or Caterham), but I've been interested in these style of cars for a while without owning anything, and I feel this would be a great way to get me started.

Appreciate any advice.

MOST WESTFIELD OWNERS BUY THEM COS THEY ARE CHEAPER THAN CATERINGVANs

28k miles is a lot for a Westfield We need more info to know if it might be value for moneyThe 1.8 Zetec is not the most rapid engine option but is a known product

Post up a link to the ad. 1.8 Zetec's are very popular but not monster power, there again the Carbon Sport is light, depends what you are used to at the moment. £8k.+ will get you a very decent car

Thanks for the replies, sadly not got a link to an advert as I've been given this information from a friend who has taken it in as a trade.

More info is here:

27,235 miles

Colour: Red/Carbon fibre Black leather interior

AP Brakes

Shift Lights

Removable Collet Steering wheel

Limited slip diff

Quick shift Westfield gearbox

LED Running lights and dash

Top Box

Tonneau Cover

Chrome Pack

Soft Dash

Heat Shield

V8 Bonnet

Tyres good

Some Westfield Service history, but serviced annually[/indent]

Edited by headshot_harry

When you say "carbon fibre" what do you mean? A lot of the later Westfields, particularly "Sport 2000" models, have cycle wings made of plastic moulded in a colour/patern a bit like carbon fibre. Also anti-chip guards on the front of the rear wings, also rear light mountings in the same finish. You can get carbon fibre body parts, but they are expensive, and tend to be made in small batches by various companies.

I would have thought £8,500 is quite a lot of money for an 11year old Westfield which has done over 27k miles. However, condition rather than age and mileage is rather more important with these cars I think. So is the specification however, and I think you might get rather more than a 1.8 zetec for that sort of money?

Is it on carburetors or throttle bodies?

We are really trying to help but ned more info

There is no such thing as a westfield gearbox, what shok absorbers has it got, what type of roll over bar, what make are the tyres and how old are they, what rims, has it got quick rack, what type and size of silencer etc

Pics would be good to evaluate

Look at the Pistonheads site for Westfields and also for sale section

Joint the club

That looks a nice clean example at £7500

[\/][ajor1' timestamp=1345642015' post='980654]

Not sure if it's of any interest to you but I have mine up for sale at the moment and would take £7.5k for it.

http://www.pistonhea...les/4063578.htm

Others on here are free to give you comparative advice.

This looks like a very good car to start you off, I think it's like everything when you are new to it...........you don't really know what you want until you have one to start with :t-up:

Mine is for sale..............

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/96009-2008-westfield-fw-duratec-sport-2000/

Please get yourself along to a local meeting and find out which car you would prefer - there is so much to think about. Get yourself a passenger ride in as many as you can and see what you think would be best for you. You don't have to be a member. You may be happy with Zetec 1800 or you might fancy a bit more power. It'll be cheaper to get the car you really want in due course rather than buy the first one you see and get yourself sucked into upgraditis

Rory's Dad

Thank you all, I realise it is bit vague, but that is all I have to go on till I get more info. I do appreciate your input though.

The blue one from Alex is amazing, but out of my price range sadly.

I'll take a closer look at the red one though...

A couple of images are here from the one I've been offered:

http://www.zen87038....mage/wf/one.jpg

http://www.zen87038.zen.co.uk/image/wf/two.jpg

http://www.zen87038.zen.co.uk/image/wf/three.jpg

http://www.zen87038.zen.co.uk/image/wf/four.jpg

http://www.zen87038.zen.co.uk/image/wf/five.jpg

Please get yourself along to a local meeting and find out which car you would prefer - there is so much to think about. Get yourself a passenger ride in as many as you can and see what you think would be best for you. You don't have to be a member. You may be happy with Zetec 1800 or you might fancy a bit more power. It'll be cheaper to get the car you really want in due course rather than buy the first one you see and get yourself sucked into upgraditis

Rory's Dad

Valid point... I caught "upgraditis" with my past passion (Skyline GTR's), only getting married managed to cure that one lol

The main reason as explained above, I have always been into cars of all variants, and a friend recently got the Caterham R400, amazing car, but at the same time another friend had an Atom for a short while. Don't get me wrong, out and out speed is great, and I'm quite prepared to get left behind with something like the above, however just being out there with them is what I'm aiming for right now.

Spending some time on the local circuits with a car that hasn't cost £30k is also something I'm very much looking forward to. I had a mild stint at the Ring about 3 years ago in my old R34, and that was amazing enough.

Edited by headshot_harry

[\/][ajor1' timestamp=1345642015' post='980654]

Not sure if it's of any interest to you but I have mine up for sale at the moment and would take £7.5k for it.

http://www.pistonhea...les/4063578.htm

Others on here are free to give you comparative advice.

What kind of performance would this give? I'm guessing plenty of road / track fun?

That car would be great on track. It's pretty similar to mine albeit marginally lighter, LSD and 10bhp more. I used mine on track for the first time last week having previously run a BMW e36. It was a revelation. Not the fastest thing in a straight line but the way you can attack corners and braking is great. Much more fun, which is the important thing.

The car in Harry's pic. looks tidy, but has a chocolate teapot rollover bar, so that needs changing for trackdays i would have thought. It looks more of a nice road car spec., full screen, sidescreens, fibreglass bootlid, road tyres.

Not sure that the brakes are what most will be expecting when you list AP brakes. Westfield AP calipers are an expensive factory option, there's not really a clear picture, but those look more like a yellow painted standard M16 caliper, (or possibly a.n. other four pot caliper, but not AP's)

On the other hand, they might mean it's got an AP master cylinder, another upgrade part, though less costly than the calipers.

Proper Speedsport Carbons were a special edition model, and did indeed come with quite a few carbon fibre trim parts.

• Like 1