Father And Son, New To Westfields...

MartinandMax

Afternoon all,

To cut a long story short, me and my father have ended up with a Westfield (happy days).

We don't know too much about it's running gear/spec/model, but believe it to be a Pre Litigation model on an 89/90 plate.

Now for the fun part - It's been stood in dry storage for about 2 years. We know it was almost a daily driver up until then though.

The first thing we've done after trailering it home was drop it off at my fathers local garage (who's a trusted friend, servicing the TVR, Alfa etc) for him to give it a good look over.

I've been given a list of parts to source, that are;

-Radiator

-Water Pump

-All water hoses

-Points & Condenser

-Top wishbone bushes

Seeing that it's been stood up I'm guessing it's best to replace the cambelt/tensioner too. Not a mention a few other things.

The trouble is, I've no idea where is the best place to find spare parts, and I'm not 100% sure what engine we have either. I was told it was a 1600 X-flow, but the engine number suggests otherwise?

I don't think I've done a good job of making a long story short! But what I'm basically after is what engine and chassis I have, and where is best to buy spare parts :)

Any help is much appreciated,

Martin & Max.

Afternoon you two! :)

OK, your starter for ten on identifying the engine:

Click

Rads - varies, but Polo rads are very popular choices, quite reasonable price as well from a variety of sources like GSF and others (someone will come along shortly with more suppliers and details)

Water pump and hoses - any decent local motor factor unless you want to go loco and get silicon ones

Points and condenser - local motor factor (electronic ignition as a later upgrade once you're up and running)

Give us the chassis number and we might be able to help identify which one you have.

Lots to take in, go nice and steady, and welcome on board! :)

Seeing that it's been stood up I'm guessing it's best to replace the cambelt/tensioner too.

If it really is a X-flow then it won't have a cambelt as they're pushrod engines ;)

best thing would be to take a few photos, host them on somewhere like Flickr or Picasa and link to them here and then we can all take the p*** er, help out with suggestions and advice :yes:

oh and welcome to the club, I'm sure the Memb Sec will speed your membership application should you choose to join :t-up::laugh:

Welcome both!

As Peter said, plenty of pictures is your best bet; "standard spec" and Westfields aren't really words that go together, and the older a car is, the more chance previous owner(s) have modified and tweaked the car to their personal tastes.

Popping some photo's up on-line is usually the best solution, as it gives the collective a good laugh, a chance to identify the different bits and bobs, and more importantly, a chance to spot the things that people don't think to ask about!

Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question - only a stupid answer. You nearly got some of them above!!

Rory's Dad

- only a stupid answer. You nearly got some of them above!!

There's still time... :p:d

If you're in Morpeth, then you might want to speak to Playskool Motorsport in Crook - not too far from you. Have a look at their website if you want to find out more about them (members on here too).

Cheers,

Matt

ps - and no, I'm not connected. They're just decent folk to do business with.

Hey, I love stupid questions - those are the ones I can actually answer.

As others have said, get some photos up. Believe you me, the body would have to be on upside down and backwards and the engine in the boot before you'd qualify as owning the biggest shed. We're here to help.

Good to have Fathers and Sons sharing a car, I share with my Son in law. he's my pit crew but you can guess who pays all the bills. He's allowed to drive on the track as well. We get on well together, he does all the dirty bits under the car and I do the easy bits on top basically. Sourcing parts is easy for an engine as long as you know what you got, Westfield specific items like suspension and bodywork are a mix and match of different cars and here you need help identifying where they came from. Posting photos on this forum of your brake caliper for instance, http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/95731-which-calipers-are-these-ap-2-pot-front/ will always get a response on what type and where to buy the part you need.

Welcome to the club my son and I built a westfield started 2007 not many owners in northumberland PM me if you want a chat

There are a lot of owners in NORTHUMBERLAND AS FAR AS I KNOW!

bl**dy hell thats a great response, cheers chaps!

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, but it'll probably be this weekend.

I know the engine code is No 55857.

As far as bills go, it's been straight down the middle...so far!

Cheers for the help Peter. Looks like it was first registered on the 16/05/90 :)

Pictures coming in the next day or two, ready for you all to laugh at!

It definitely doesn't have any water hoses, so that's going to be a problem. I'm guessing it's best to buy a radiator before sorting out hoses etc?

Thanks again,

Martin & Max.

Polo rads are very light and are a popular upgrade to original double core Westfield ones. You can buy new ones as cheap as £ 27, depends on the supplier, google them. Yes fit rad first, you may need to make up some extra brackets, then pipe it up using 1m. lengths and bends linked together with a hard alloy pipe also in 1m. lengths. You could also splash the cash on Silicone pipes if you like them.