New Fuel Costs How Much?

iain m

Just popped down to the local garage, I don't fill up the cars there because they are Bentley main dealers they seem to think the fuel they sell should be a similar price. Exactly 5 litres of Diesel in a can for my mower at £144.9 ltr was £7.24, yes they rounded up the 0.5p, what planet are we on :t-up: :t-up: :t-up:.

a hundred a forty four quid! They are taking the proverbial.

Or did you mean £1.449ppl?

Thanks Norman, yes it was 144.9 new type British pennies, it just seemed like £££££, must get the hang of this decimal business, where you put the dot just makes such a difference it seems??

Like Churchill who was, between the wars, chancellor of the exchequer.

He said he could get the hang of all those dots.

It's cheaper here, but not sure of this weeks price. Diesel is cheaper than petrol.

Diesel or DERV as it should be called cost 30% less to refine than petroleum and was priced accordingly,present diesel production is alway close to demand, whenever stations run dry its always DERV that is not available, I have been a convert to turbo/diesels now for over 10 years, we now have turbo/petrol engines with similar performance and economy, seriously considering moving back to petrol cars ( and mowers )

The UK has a shortage of Diesel and has a surplus Unleaded. We tend to import Diesel and export the Unleaded.

Most of it is tax though, but i think we are comparable to the rest of Europe.

Not comparable to France as the Diesel is cheaper than the petrol.

DERV stands for Diesel Engined Road Vehicle so, i would suggest, it applies to the vehicle not the fuel.

If it wasn't used as a fuel Diesel oil would be a waste product. Basically it's what's left over after extracting the spirit.

Diesel or DERV as it should be called cost 30% less to refine than petroleum and was priced accordingly,present diesel production is alway close to demand, whenever stations run dry its always DERV that is not available, I have been a convert to turbo/diesels now for over 10 years, we now have turbo/petrol engines with similar performance and economy, seriously considering moving back to petrol cars ( and mowers )

Already done it. My new 328i (2.0 turbo 245bhp but emits ony a waft of CO2) is averaging about 37 mpg over the first 7,000 miles. A a comparison the previous 330d got about 42mpg. Company cars and I'm paying about £25 per week net less when tax and private fuel taken into account. 330d a better drive though (same bhp but of course much more torque). But I won't go back to diesels.

• Like 1

I bet the guy that founded Auto Union cars never thought his companys cars of the future (Audi ) would be winning races running on the waste oil he was heating his factoty with??

This is why everyone has diesel cars... the government makes far more money at the pumps... so they promote them to get the money in! I had a Alfa 156 GTD after my 156 GTA... trying to cut back a bit. followed that but an A3 1.8T and that was far better at the pumps. Now my Westfield can get 180-200 miles to £28!!! So where does the 30% saving go? like everything, if costs got up, end user suffers, when costs drop end user stays the same. :angry:

We've missed the biggest issues with diesel's!

The tractor sound and the 1800rpm redline!

OK both parts of that a little over the top, but you know where i'm heading.

I bet the guy that founded Auto Union cars never thought his companys cars of the future (Audi ) would be winning races running on the waste oil he was heating his factoty with??

Not sure anyone founded Auto Union, it was a merger of several German manufacturers.

And the Le Mans cars don't run on diesel fuel. At least I've never seen diesel fuel evaporate in a few seconds having been split on the tarmac.

ed to add that in the interests of me winning that million we should have a 8 page discussion on this.