Ex-Motorcycle Racer, Too Old And Too Busted Up !

Nobsta

I'd budget for a minimum of £1k to road register a track car, probably more. The cost of the IVA test and first registration fee will be £500 plus any parts and work the car may need. To put it through the test as Ammeteur built (which is more leaneint) you'll also need to provide to VOSA the build photos and various receipts. When it comes to registering the car with the DVLA unless you have copies of the purchase receipts for the major parts and can prove their age/origin then unfortunately the car will most likely be registered on a Q.

It's a fun car but I feared this would be the response I would get..

Looking less attractive (similar to my wife when the stella is wearing off !!)..

Or are they coming round to lap you again :d:p ..

Been and raided the kids "piggy banks" but there ain't much in there !!

looks like sighting laps to me :laugh:

Nobsta, Similar to what you are thinking of doing you, I went from bike to westfield after a nasty crash and felt it was time to hang up my helmet.

The experience is completely different. The westfield is lower than everything (even rabbits are giants on the road :d ) even slow speeds seem a lot faster. On a bike you tend to be higher than a lot of cars so it feels completely different. There is no helmet, gear etc. to think about and you get more wind buffeting than on a bike (believe me) so the whole experience is fun without the need for great speed or power. I also have the fun part that I built it myself from an abandoned project so have the pride to go with it. Mine started with 1600 xflow certainly not the most powerful but put a grin on my face. Now I'm converting it to 2.0l zetec, only due to reliability problems with the xflow and suspect that will be plenty, but like all westfielders I'm sure I suffer from upgraditus.

As for converting track car to road - be careful. There could be a whole host of things that would need doing people have said budget £1000 for the IVA and that's how much it cost me.

My best advice would be to have a go in various types and find which one floats your boat. One thing is certain about all the people on this forum is that we all enjoy our cars not matter what we have under the bonnet.

Cheers

Paul

Definately going to Curborough to check out what's about..

But in the meantime I had a response back from the Westfield factory with some background on the car and what would need to be done for the IVA..

Likely to need a closed loop injection and a catalyst exhaust..

Also a tethered petrol cap, switch and light indication and a fuel tank impact bar ??

Don't know what half this means !!

Anyone have any ideas of how much of a job this would be and an idea of cost ??

Thanks again and sorry to be a pain in the wotzit..

If I could work out how to insert photos I would.. Doh !!

As others have said go to a local meeting and get a ride in any version of Westfields. You may not like it at all. Then think about what engine, spec would suit you.

I guess it also depends on what you like about bikes, or is it just bikes!! I've owned and ridden from a Vespa, through to a BSA Super Rocket, Trials, Motor-Cross through big Japanese ranging from Sports to Streetfigher, and am at present toying with a Softail Slim.

If I'm asked what I prefer, it really comes down to how I feel that day. Sometimes I want a pleasant ride out, sometime I want to get a real rush.

With regards to a Westfield, I want significant acceleration, exceptional handling and a nice noise. It is very true that Westfield's feel very fast, just due to their nature, but if they really are fast, that can only be a bonus.

In my limited Westfield experience, 200bhp is necessary to get that pit of the stomach pull, where only around 150bhp is needed on a bike, assuming that's what you're looking for.

I've been fortunate enough to have driven a vast range of cars over the years, from little Elise's, to TVR, Bentley turbo's, Masarati, etc to the whole of the new range of Ferrari's, yes including a 458 Spider, yet a V8 Westfield can still hold it's own with regards to enjoyment.

I stil have a few bikes and am not looking to replace them with a Westfield, looking to add to the fun..

Don't always want to go "balls out" on a bike would like to go "balls out" in a Westfield and then also enjoy a cruise down the lanes..

That's what appeals to me, as much as the power is important to me as is the complete experience..

If pace was all I was looking for I'd probably buy an Ariel but they just don't do it for me !!

I'm looking forward to seeing a variety of Westfield's on Saturday..

Guess that will help me make my mind up and set my budget..

Thanks again for all your advice, much appreciated..

That's exactly what I want out of one, and yes same here, the Atom has no appeal, and the KTM is even worse. Donkervoot ticks all the boxes, just a same about the price :(

Have to say if a Elise was a bit quicker, I'd buy one tomorrow. I know they can be made quicker, but it just gets too dear for a toy.

Lets hope we have some dry weather at the weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!