Ex-Motorcycle Racer, Too Old And Too Busted Up !

Nobsta

Thanks for your 2p Mark !!

Comfy seats not essential but maybe a welcome addidtion..

Been racing supermoto on-and-off for the past 8 years and just don't fancy throwing myself down the track anymore..

Broken arm, leg, neck, ribs, wrists, fingers, ankles and toes along with some pretty sore ligament damage, so not too buzzed by the thought of racing much these days..

Literally the odd track-day but mostly a run to the coast to go and play on my jetski..

Aand mostly travelling alone as missus can take the kids and dog in her car..

Had a mate "spanner" for me when racing so would rather a more modern and easily maintained engine as I'm not the most skilled with a socket set..

Was looking at a couple of pretty standard 2.0L Duratec cars, do they have enough guts or do you have to spend a fortune with this Troy chap ??

Agreed, top handling and brakes essential !!

Many Thanks...

duratecs are a good engine in standard form - 180ish bhp as standard from a fairly light (in comparison) car engine

I have done 13000 hard miles in mine inc lots of track days and the engine seems unbreakable (hope I dont regret saying that)

If a well specced zetec or vx engined car came up that was well built and was making good power I would defo consider it over a bog standard duratec

Regards bike or car engine - has been debated countless times - only you can decide on that one

Either way you will need to become a little familiar with spanners as full checkovers need to be a regular occurance dependant upon how often and what you use the car for

Enjoy the hunt

Thanks for the advice Cleggy..

I think it's deffo a case of being patient and waiting for the right car to come around..

There's quite a few cars out there but not may that tick the boxes for me just yet..

I'm not so bad with the spanners and quite enjoy but have just been used to someone else doing the maintenence..

plenty of ex broken bikers about here :-)

find out the spec of the red top that was in your mates car... that way you'll know what you feel you need, everyone is totally different & want different things - even a moderate engine with the right gearbox (or ratios at least) and a fairly stripped out westy will put a grin on your face.. given you are an ex bike racer, i imagine you'll want something in the bonkers territory of power/handling - so chose carefully, as its much cheaper/easier to buy the right car first.

I'd be amazed if a nice busa westy didn't float your boat - but depends how much road work you plan, a good car engine westy can be equally good (and better) depending on spec.

think carefully about whether you might ! just want to dip you toe into the odd event too - again much easier to buy a car with the track/race basics done than having to start from scratch.

good luck in your search, and take your time to get the right one for YOU

Nobsta, if you want a closer look at the Duratec you are welcome to call round for a chat and a ride. Depending which route you take to the coast , you should pass fairly close by me. nic

plenty of ex broken bikers about here :-)

find out the spec of the red top that was in your mates car... that way you'll know what you feel you need, everyone is totally different & want different things - even a moderate engine with the right gearbox (or ratios at least) and a fairly stripped out westy will put a grin on your face.. given you are an ex bike racer, i imagine you'll want something in the bonkers territory of power/handling - so chose carefully, as its much cheaper/easier to buy the right car first.

I'd be amazed if a nice busa westy didn't float your boat - but depends how much road work you plan, a good car engine westy can be equally good (and better) depending on spec.

Thanks for the pointers..

Sounds like a common switch from bike to westfield !!

Just swapped my KTM Superduke R for a KTM RC8R and the more racey riding position is killing me :( ..

So thinking, as much as I'm from the "racer" background, i'd probably appreciate a couple of creature comforts for my broken bones !!

Just want to make sure I don't end being bored with something just coz it hasn't got quite enough power..

Fast, reliable car engine with lots of torque would fit the bill perfectly but which one that is I don't really know ??

Nobsta, if you want a closer look at the Duratec you are welcome to call round for a chat and a ride. Depending which route you take to the coast , you should pass fairly close by me. nic

That would be great Nic..

I go to Aberdovey along the M54, Shrewsbury, Welshpool, Mallwyd and Machynlleth..

If's not a million miles away I'll try and call by at a convenient time..

I'll let you know..

Thanks...

personally i wouldn't worry too much about which engine it is - as long as the spec/power and bits on it are what you want.... I'd have a well built/tuned red top mated to a decent gearbox, than a std duratec mated to a std type 9 box... but some folk would rather start with fresher 'std' more modern engines and build them up over time.

i hear ya on the riding position too.. been there done that, bikes are hard to beat for buzz factor, but these babies can be great fun - and a bit more versatile.. they also hold their money well if you buy right, if you do happen to have an off its likely to be a dust down and maybe a bit of minor repairs.. unlike being tossed off a bike - watching the Moto GP over the wk end made me feel glad i am not still racing 2 wheels... i could feel each of those bl**dy high sides ! don't miss that at all

It really doesn't matter that much on engine choice - clearly the duratec is a bit more modern and an all alloy block and is probably a bit more desirable (I am prepared to be shot/flamed for this :blush::laugh: )

but the duratecs tend to go for a bit more money so your pays your money.....

Like others have said it really is down to getting your bum into some cars to compare the performance with an understanding that pretty much whatever you get into is not going to be as quick as a bike in a straight line

It is worth trying some comfy-ish road spec cars and also some stripped out track/road focussed cars as they change much in character simply by chucking out thinks like padded seats, carpets, windscreens, heaters in favour of bucket seats and aero screens etc (by the way fibreglass/carbon style bucket seats are much much comfier than they look so do not be put off with a car that has them)

There was a stunning duratec in the for sale section which had pretty much everything you are looking for - the down side it was up for sale at 13k so maybe out of budget but with a haggle you never know

This is the one http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/96520-2006-seiw-duratec-high-spec/

Other than perhaps the gearbox this is pretty much all you could want in a road car (subject to it being as good as it looks on the build front)

Spoke to a top fella in Ireland this morning regarding his really nice looking blue duratec..

A few things made me think twice, it's a long way to Ireland, it's at the top end of my budget for my first car and he said himself that he wants more power ?

Love the look of the car but am afraid i might get bored quite quickly ??

Then.... talking to my mate, he's thrown a spanner into the mix and said why don't i buy his at £6k-ish !!

It's more a track car i guess but i did have proper fun in when i borrowed it but it is a lot less money..

What do people think ??

Everything (except engine and gearbox) was bought new from factory in 2001

Redtop (recently been to Troy for a fettle)

6spd close ratio gearbox

Good brakes (aparently)

Good suspension (apparently)

Race ECU

It's a bit rough round the edges as it's been more track use than as a Sunday tourer but it does handle well and has a right punch..

It also needs road registering, could this be done on an age related plate rather than a Q as 95% new parts were used ??

Just concerned that it might need a bit spending on it to comply with IVA, closed loop injection, catalyst exhaust and fuel tank impact bar (so i've been told) ??

Cheers...

ounds ok as track car but complying with IVA and registering could cost a lot

I'd budget for a minimum of £1k to road register a track car, probably more. The cost of the IVA test and first registration fee will be £500 plus any parts and work the car may need. To put it through the test as Ammeteur built (which is more leaneint) you'll also need to provide to VOSA the build photos and various receipts. When it comes to registering the car with the DVLA unless you have copies of the purchase receipts for the major parts and can prove their age/origin then unfortunately the car will most likely be registered on a Q.