Ex-Motorcycle Racer, Too Old And Too Busted Up !

Nobsta

Just saying hi as new to Westfields and the forum..

Another convert from two wheels as too old and busted up to race anymore !!

Borrowed a mate's "redtop" for a couple of weeks and got hooked..

Really keen to get my own car now but not too sure what spec engine to go for ??

Want to enjoy blasting along the lanes to Wales and maybe the odd trackday or two..

Understand that outright bhp isn't everything but want something quite torquey (30-70mph fun) with great handling..

Redtop, zetec, duratec ?? (not keen on bike powered car)..

I appreciate that this question / topic has probably been done to death in the past so any brief snippets of advice would be appreciated..

Was thinking of going to Curborough next week as long as there were a few Westfields there ??

Many Thanks..

• Like 1

You can see the Sprint cars in action on Saturday

Budget makes a difference to the answer!

Started thinking about £6k but soon realised it's gonna have to be £10k+

Haven't got a fixed budget but have been offered my mates Atom fairly cheap so have been trying to way up the pro's and con's with performance vs useability etc etc..

Do what I did as a biker looking for kicks, go to a meet and let some friendly chaps take you out for a ride.

I decided bike engine was for me and went from there. £10K is a good budget and should get you a cracking car.

Good luck

Ian

Do what I did as a biker looking for kicks, go to a meet and let some friendly chaps take you out for a ride.

I decided bike engine was for me and went from there. £10K is a good budget and should get you a cracking car.

Good luck

Ian

Thanks..

Going to take a look at Curborough next weekend..

Been told by a few friends that a bike powered car isn't for me ??

Best I make my own mind up I guess..

hi mate being an exbike racer you will need 200hp to get the same rush with a good set up,i have an st170 with race cams and a omax ecu 201hp 176lbs torque,any more than that i think is a bit ott on the road, the tyers,well how hard do you want to go toyo 888s for dry not great in the wet rirs for all round use,i use tirs as i like to play about on bends drifting ??? bit nauty but hey good fun you donnt have to be to perfect into bends like a bike which is such a laf and these things are so much faster in the tight bends i love em,dont tell any of my race mates they are more fun than a bike :blush: did i just say that out loud :laugh: :laugh: have fun and good luck with the finding the right car :d

hi mate being an exbike racer you will need 200hp to get the same rush with a good set up,i have an st170 with race cams and a omax ecu 201hp 176lbs torque,any more than that i think is a bit ott on the road, the tyers,well how hard do you want to go toyo 888s for dry not great in the wet rirs for all round use,i use tirs as i like to play about on bends drifting ??? bit nauty but hey good fun you donnt have to be to perfect into bends like a bike which is such a laf and these things are so much faster in the tight bends i love em,dont tell any of my race mates they are more fun than a bike :blush: did i just say that out loud :laugh: :laugh: have fun and good luck with the finding the right car :d

Thanks for the pointers, much to consider then !!

Appreciate your time...

hi mate being an exbike racer you will need 200hp to get the same rush with a good set up...

I disagree, I've been a biker 14 years and ride an RSVR-spec Aprilia Falco (Tuono's brother) with lots of trick bits - my Westfield makes me grin in a different way - it's not all about power really

Started thinking about £6k but soon realised it's gonna have to be £10k+

Haven't got a fixed budget but have been offered my mates Atom fairly cheap so have been trying to way up the pro's and con's with performance vs useability etc etc..

£6k-£7k could get you something smart if you can wait for summer to properly finish. I paid £6370 for mine in Feb:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/94497-new-here-hello/page__fromsearch__1

Seen a couple of really nice examples that have duratec engines in them...

But from reading some of the comments, on previous threads as well, they might not be powerful enough unless you wanna spend megabucks ??

Are the redtops the more torquey blocks ??

My mates seem to be fun enough during the two weeks I used it !!

Have the perception that a V8 would be too heavy and not as nimble around the twisy's ??

Respectable power then and good torque !!

My mate's had a 6spd box on it, guess that would make a noticeable difference to the ratios and accelleration ??

Come and have a chat in the paddock and see me and Tim Nunn and a few others with BECs

You will see that not much beats us

Come and have a chat in the paddock and see me and Tim Nunn and a few others with BECs

You will see that not much beats us

Thanks Terry, will deffo come and see you and Tim and pick your brains !!

Look forward to seeing them rippin around...

I think you have the right attitude, so best of luck.

Just a few pointers from me;

Will this be just for you or will you have a passenger a fair few times?

You say too old and busted up, but do you want comfy seats and carpet or are plastic shells and painted bare Ali panels still tickling yr fancy?

Aside from engine, that sounds like a more modern 16v 2L 1.8L engine for you by the way, how are you with the spanners? I ask as a fully fuel injected engine is in sweeping terms more reliable or rather more easily kept in top tune, but carbs are good, often cheaper cars and if you are mechanically minded easy to look after them.

If tracking the car, I find it very hard not to recommend a fully braced roll bar and 5 point harnes as a minimum, I crashed on track with a 4 point harness and was fine......but went to 6 straight away afterwards. ott perhaps, but at least look out for or consider changing to 3" wide shoulder straps on a 4 point.

Also if tracking, a good 6 or 7 inch diameter can ( repackable if you can, but not important ) to get the noise down is a good idea.

Brakes wise, I would be looking for a set that work well, far more than a fancy branded set. What I mean is that many people often have upgraded to a 4 piston caliper set from a good brand, but have not changed the master cylinder or actually the piston serface area and as a result have a brake system not as good as a ford M16 based system. Good pads and evidence of good brake fluid would be a good find as well.

That's my 2p's worth