Scenic run / Medium Blat

Chris Elworthy

Just in case.......

If you stage a Scenic run, Blat, Convoy or similar, is there a limit to the number of cars that can be involved? do the authorities require notification?

Many thanks in advance of your response..........Mark.

Going back 20 years when I was a regular "road rallying" fan any event with more than 12 cars HAD to have RAC authorisation and the police had to be notified. Strictly speaking this included treasure hunts as well. The law may well have changed since then but is unlikely to have made things easier.

Practically speaking, if you're not making a nuisance of yourselves you'll probably get away with most things.

Pete

Found this link quite useful - not sure whether the WSCC has a 'Good Driving Guide'

As for me I always abide to the 'Highway Code'  :devil:

Thanks, that is a very sensible document.

If WSCC don't have one of its own I suggest we ask the Scottish MX-5 people if we can base ours on theirs.

I have also spoken to Northants Police. They couldn't confirm for definite (it was 22:20 !;) but believe that we are not required to inform them. They have however given me a help-line number to call. I'll keep you posted.

I have a feeling that as an MSA affilliated club, there may be some hoops to jump through. Nothing difficult, but there may well be broader implications, like PL insurance requirements. So a call to the MSA would be in order.....

Also, IIRC, after the 1990(?) Criminal Justice Act, gatherings of more than 5 people can be adjudged an illegal gathering. This was primarilly aimed at travellers, IIRC, but if plod is having a bad day.........

Just hold your horses guys and don't get tooooooooooo caught up in "legislation".

A scenic drive or treasure hunt has absolutely nothing to do with the MSA  ;)  ;)  :D  The MSA only cover competitive timed sporting events.  ;)  :D  :) Rallies time trials etc

The WSCC spend a hefty wedge each year on PL insurance covering such things as Scenic drives and treasure hunts and social activities.

Any club or organisation should have public liability insurance for such events (this is NOT personal accident insurance, which is up to each individual).

If you ever take part in any scenic drive or treasure hunt always ensure PL insurance is in place - The WSCC is.

What needs to be addressed and a disclaimer signed by all participants such that:

It is the drivers responsibility to ensure that the participating car is fully road legal, driver has a full UK driving licence and agree to abide by the Highway code and all local road notices at all times.

Police generally need to be notified if more than 20 drivers in one group.

So keep car groups to about 10 max. and enjoy  :D  :D  :D  :)

Police generally need to be notified if more than 20 drivers in one group.

So keep car groups to about 10 max. and enjoy

We do need to be clear on this.  As AO for the Thames Valley Area I am now a little worried about organising convoys.  Would feel happier if we had a disclaimer for drivers to sign (if this is indeed a requirement of the PL insurance).

The document issued by MX5 scotland owners club would also be useful.

Again some guidline documents on the WSCC website would help or at least available to AOs.  We should keep it professional - (I know we are an amateur organisation before anyone says it)

And also before anyone says that they are too busy, I'm also extremely busy but will organise this if I have some support.

Can contact the aforementioned club to see whether we can adapt their 'Good Driving Guide'.  Then will hassle Adrian to post it on the website.  Speaking of websites wscc.co.uk needs some serious updating.

:D  :D  :D  :D

If you contact the Club Sec - he has some "standard" disclaimer stuff and AO "guides" that may be of help and has been issued in the past to AO's obviously previous AO hasn't handed over to your goodself  - probably a good time to update methinks  ;)  ;)  :)  :)

Convoy's have never caused a problem with Police in the past and hopefully won't for the future - Key is that everyone agrees to abide by the Highway Code and signs to say so, especially for Treasure Hunts - as a convoy leader must set a proper example  ;)  ;)

If you contact the Club Sec - he has some "standard" disclaimer stuff and AO "guides" that may be of help and has been issued in the past to AO's obviously previous AO hasn't handed over to your goodself  - probably a good time to update methinks

Thanks Mark

:D  :D  :D  :D

Have emailed MX5 Scotland for their 'Good Driving Guide'

:)

Have permission from MX5 club secretary to use their 'Good driving guide'  providing WE give them an acknowledgement.

Click here