Road -> Track Priorities... Upgrade, Or Change Car?

AdamR

Adam,

if you are 'leaning' towards a track day car and looking at swapping don't rule out the Fisher Fury type either. They tend to be quite a bit quicker on track than a seven due to aero etc.

imagesCAPLEY0C.jpg

Mark, Fraser, thanks for your input!

Mark - both of those factors were definitely a large consideration. I do love making my own bits BUT I think it would prove tricky having such little other knowledge to draw upon. The bodywork point is very valid too!! I usually work on the car alone so that could be a nightmare at times...

Fraser - I did look at a few adverts for those as well. Weirdy there was something that didn't 'grab' me about them - I am sure it would be a different story if I had driven one mind you - possible a good half-way house between a Westy and some sort of Radical/Juno type car...?

One other thing I thought about was having a car that's 'too quick'. Sounds odd, but you can get into trouble pretty fast when closing speeds are high on track days, so I ruled out a Juno/Radical type car.

I also decided the odd road blat would be necessary, even if it's just for checking the car runs fine or any changes that had been made to setup, driving position, etc.

I had Mike Reynold's old car on my shortlist when I bought my first one, but decided it was too much car for a first Westy: http://forum.wscc.co...__fromsearch__1

However, it came up for sale again, and the guy who bought it from Mike had only done about 1300 miles in the last year, just hadn't had time to enjoy it. After a quick (well, I say quick, we were out of the house from 6am til midnight) trip down to Taunton, I now have a yellow and black car sat on my trailer. Needs a few tweaks (seat position, clutch, spanner check, etc) but hopefully be able to get out for a blat this evening :d

I'll report back on the differences (in spec and how the two cars drive) in the hope that this thread may be useful for anyone else in the same position in future.

Nice one!

I looked at the ad for that one many many times when I was looking for mine too!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't afford it at the time.

I look forward to seeing it at the next 'dry' meet.

Sounds like a sensible idea! Hopefully I'll be free and the weather will be favourable...

PS: Spent a lot of time tinkering to get pedals / seat / harnesses etc correct, so only been for a quick blat so far, but it's a night and day difference already. Need to check the geo as it appears to have changed since it was set up, and have a weird steering 'issue' (where something appears to slip - but everything is tight!), but hoping I can get that done before Weds...

Very Nice Adam!

:yes:

Looks very nice Adam, there's getting to be a pretty regular group of us trackdaying from on here so hope you can join us some time :)

Cheers guys!

Yep, definitely up for some track days Steve :) To be honest, that's the only time I'll be able to enjoy the car properly... Was hoping to be at Anglesey this Friday but can't make it now - I'll keep an eye on the Events forum.

You're filling up your driveway again Adam, couldn't resist it could you, looks a bit rapid by the spec..

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to say on this thread before...when you come to sell the new car let me know as it is exactly what I'll be after in a couple of years!

Cheers,

Dave

That's a bit presumptuous :d

Haha...just thought I'd get first dibs ;)

I remember when the car was for sale the last time but timing wrong for me...still learning with the car I've got. Now at 193bhp but anything else is going to cost big ££'s (Gearbox, suspension etc etc!). car's still faster than me but when the car starts holding me back I'll be copying you I think and funds should allow in the next couple of years I reckon.

Cheers,

Dave