Stunning!

Captain Colonial

What a race! What an athlete!

Arise, Sir Mo! :)

• Like 1

Superb man. However, it would be a little difficult to honour every athlete who won a gold medal or two.

Look around, there are unsung folk out there who perhaps do more and deserve more.

I was at the athletics last night and it was brilliant

Quite agree Bob, honours aren't a fair system, but I'd much rather see him get one than some ruddy banker, politician or robbing corporate chief.

Superb man. However, it would be a little difficult to honour every athlete who won a gold medal or two.

Look around, there are unsung folk out there who perhaps do more and deserve more.

hu humm :laugh:

hu humm :laugh:

NO......just positively NO!

If you had to bend down infront of Queenie anyway Steve you would just fart out loud!

So it's a definate NO - Never let there be a Sir SteveD!

Lord Davies of Winsford has a certain ring to it, maybe not :p :p :p :p :d

Why not honour everyone who won gold.

Whilst I can see why many turn down these honours (and I suspect that Mo might not be happy to accept one) it's this countries way of saying thank you for your efforts for the country.

Now then, who's going to be Spoty?

English cricket team won the ashes and all got an MBE - the next time they were white washed and Geoffrey Boycott immediately said of his OBE that he was going to tie it around his cat for that was all it was worth.

What he meant was that if you win a competition you get a prize (a medal) and immediate world recognition. What a national honour should be for is services to that sport not simply winning one race.

Boycott said it took him 20 years to get his recognition and some of the cricketers didnt even play 20 minutes.

I`m inclined to agree. National honours for all is wrong and diminishes and demeans its speciality and if we do then we should give them first and foremost to the 18 and 19 year old soldiers back from Afghanistan whose false legs and arms dont fit properly and who dont get the proper psychological help before we give them to relativey pampered athletes!

Without detracting from the acheivments of the atheletes, I for one think the whole system of hounors is wrong. Chris hoy rides a bike well, knighthood justified? It should be knocked in the head for all sportsmen and entertainers and all civil servants. If we must have them give it to people who do selfless things that have no financial gain in them at all.

I agree and disagree. Whoever gets an honour there is always someone else with a better claim.

These people have trained harder than most of us can imagine. They have worked harder than most of us can imagine. I know they are well paid with sponsorships but they didn't enter the Olympics for money.

They have all, including the Silver and Bronze winners, raised the moral of our country.

Our honours system is what we have. I find it is flawed on many levels.

So, if we don't honour our winners what do you suggest we do to say thank you.

Should we have to say well done to those who have excelled at their job? They are well funded and have led a good life to get where they are and have been recognised as being winners by their awards. The days when atheletes did full time jobs has long gone and the constant use of hero's, to describe them, grates with me.

As a small boy I got to hold a George Cross which had been postumetly awarded to an air hostess who died saving others after a crash. That is the only sort of awards we should be making not a knighthood for running a bit faster than the next guy.

• Like 1