Weighing The Car With Cheap Bathroom Scales?

robo1968

Is this an accurate way to weigh? It's not to corner weight it just to get the total. Can it be done with just one scale with the other 3 wheels raised to the same height? Or is it only accurate with 4 of them together? Or maybe it's just a stupid idea? :(

How are you gonna raise the other 3 wheels without having the jack touching the ground?

Would need 4 scales. If the floor was definitely flat don't see why it wouldn't be accurate.

I use 4 bathroom scales, one under each wheel. I tested each scale to ensure they all read the same with the same weight on them. Not sure they're 100% accurate but at least they read the same.

more importantly I hope you have asked permission from the wife ;-)

• Like 1

And you'd get corner weights too, I'd have thought...

Depending on the scales - you might need more than 4. I use a job lot of 6 - £3.99 each at Argos (does that count as a commercial posting? :oops: ).

Thanks. Wow the argos ones are cheap! (why would you need 6 though?) Trouble is if they are the ones that only go to 120kg then they wont work as I think my car will be more like 600kg or so I think.

I will go for getting 4 then. I was thinking of putting 3 wheels on blocks the same thickness as the scales and doing one wheel at a time with scales but that's probably a silly idea...

Digital ones or mechanical?

Mechanical is best -- the digital ones tend to turn off shortly after you start your adjustments. I use two of http://www.argos.co....%7C14418073.htm these (they don't turn off, and are happy up to 200kg), with the car placed on a level surface and the wheels at the other end (normally back) chocked up to same height. Seems to work quite reasonably for a rough/ready system.

Thanks. Wow the argos ones are cheap! (why would you need 6 though?) Trouble is if they are the ones that only go to 120kg then they wont work as I think my car will be more like 600kg or so I think.

I will go for getting 4 then. I was thinking of putting 3 wheels on blocks the same thickness as the scales and doing one wheel at a time with scales but that's probably a silly idea...

Digital ones or mechanical?

I guess you'd need 6 for the same reason you mentioned 4 will only get you to 480kgs. 6 will allow you to measure up to 720kgs (assuming 120kg max on the scales)

why not just go to a local weigh bridge - drop them a few bob and job done

scales probably not gonna be that accurate at that sort of weight - especially cheapies

If you are only looking to get the weights the same in each corner then overall accuracy is not a problem (as Norm says) so long as they all show the same weight with a test weight.

Don't see why you can't pop each under a single wheel in turn and so long as they show the same reading you are good to go.

Are you trying to corner weight it, or just get the total weight? If it's the latter then the local weigh bridge is the answer. Mine charges £5 a go.

Are you trying to corner weight it, or just get the total weight? If it's the latter then the local weigh bridge is the answer. Mine charges £5 a go.

Just total weight. They've stopped doing a weighbridge in my area but am looking for somewhere else. If no luck I'll try the bathroom scales.

BTW what does it mean that 'You need to make sure the suspension isnt loaded when let down on the scales though ' ? Is that just for corner weighting or even when getting total weight? (sorry if I'm being stupid)

I use a pair of digital scales with glass tops from Boots! I think they measure up to 150Kg. Just drop the car on to some bits of 6"x2" and then roll the car on to the scales. Works very well for me and quick to sort out total weights and cornerweights.

• Like 1