Ot: What A Load Of Bollards!

CrashBangWallop

Good morning people,

As I'm without a car, at the moment, I thought I'd take the opportunity to improve the security on my driveway and fit a bollard or two to my driveway. Along with a carport of some description and, perhaps, some gates.

I was looking at either telescopic bollards or the static removable kind. The fold-down type might lie too high off the ground. My driveway is paved. So, I'll need to put some concrete down in relevant places - where the bollard will go and for the carport's posts. I can't simply build a roof going from my wall (on the right) to the opposite garages. I asked. They said no. :d Concreting the whole driveway is not an option, unfortunately.

Something like this:

All.jpg

Obviously, for the rising bollard, a depth will have to be dug, at least, the overall height of the bollard itself, but what about the static, removable type?

Anyone have fitting these in the past or can recommend a company that might do this?

http://ram-security-posts.co.uk/category/telescopic-posts/ came up top of a quick search. There's a lot more, but these sounded suitable.

Thank you.

If its a telescopic one, will you need a power supply? Might be easier to have a removable one, means you dont have to dig a hole a metre deep in your drive.

As for the car port, you might need to speak to the planning authority? then again it could well be classed as temporary.

I think it's manual. It has a lifting handle.

You reminded me that I had a fold down one fitted. I think I used it once and then forgot about it.

As for the car port, you might need to speak to the planning authority? then again it could well be classed as temporary.

You won't need to talk to the planning people for that carport ;)

I believe the telescopic one is just a pull up and lock with a handle and, yeah, the carport is only classed as a temporary structure. Something to do with it only being walled on two sides or less and under a certain height. Might mean pulling my garden fence down at the back of the driveway, but that's not a problem. Though, I think I'll have to ask my parish council to be on the safe side.

then again it could well be classed as temporary.

Unfortunately a temporary structure is defined in legislation as building which is not intended to remain where it is erected for more than 28 days

Yes it looks like it would be permitted development, however it's always worth checking in advance with the local planning authority as there may be planning conditions attached to the property which remove certain permitted development rights. This is particularly more prevalent on newer properties and estate housing. Bear in mind that under planning legislation car ports are still classed as an extension to the house and are considered differently to sheds and outbuildings etc.

Planning permission would be required unless it satisfies the requirements for permitted development which are as follow:

No more than half the area of land around the "original house" would be covered by additions or other buildings.

No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.

Maximum eaves height of any extension within two metres of the boundary to be not more than three metres.

Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension to be no higher than existing house.

Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.

On designated land (ie Conservation Areas, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc) no side extensions.

• Like 1

Planning permission would be required unless it satisfies the requirements for permitted development which are as follow:

No more than half the area of land around the "original house" would be covered by additions or other buildings.

No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.

Maximum eaves height of any extension within two metres of the boundary to be not more than three metres.

Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension to be no higher than existing house.

Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.

On designated land (ie Conservation Areas, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc) no side extensions.

I'm within all of those, I reckon. Will I have to pay to check with the planning authority? I remember a friend recently asking for an extension and having to pay over £100 (it might have been a lot more) for planning permission.

I'm within all of those, I reckon. Will I have to pay to check with the planning authority? I remember a friend recently asking for an extension and having to pay over £100 (it might have been a lot more) for planning permission.

You shouldn't have to pay to ask them and check. They may not be able answer you straight away over the phone and may ask you to write in with a roughly dimensioned sketch of what your proposing to build. If they tell you that planning permission will be needed then the current planning fees for making an application are around £150.

No, you'd need to speak to Blue Peter!

Seriously though. If it's wood then I believe planning is not required. Do it kind of pergola style.

Seriously though. If it's wood then I believe planning is not required. Do it kind of pergola style.

Please see post 6. What it's made from matters nowt.

I spoke to the bollards company, at lunch-time. Seems they're in and out in roughly an hour. So, that's nice and straight-forward.

One down... Two to go.

The handy thing about a parish council is that they just live a couple of streets from me. "More tea, Vicar?" :d

Thanks, for the info, guys. Most appreciated.