Westfield Engine Replacement

commander

Hi,

I have recently bought a Westfield SE narrow body with a 2.1 pinto, my question is.....with my existing chassis is it possible to replace the engine with a V8 Rover engine, will the chassis cope with the the increase in power?

It`ll prob be a tight squeez , think the v8 chassis is wider and designed to fit a g/box able to handle v8 power .

What`s the inspiration for V8 power when you can get good power from a range of different 4 potters that will transplant easier into your chassis ? ???

Or why didnt you buy a V8 engined Westy?

I really can not recommend this as the v8's were different chassis, wide for a start, but with extra bracing. That said if you know what you are doing a v8 will fit in a narrow, but a lot of cutting and welding is required and other compromises around steering and cooling etc.....so a total rebuild with the associated cost.

Truth is, if you want a v8, sell the good pinto and buy a v8 as it will be cheaper and safer.

Also might be a problem with the transmission/diff etc

You could put a blade in it

I have to agree with mark, it would require a significant amount of chassis work for starters, particularly to the transmission tunnel to accomodate the gearbox and bellhousing.

You may also need to consider some of the components on the car? what axle do you have, diff ratio etc

Out of interest, which engines would transplant without re-doing the tub for the inlet and exhaust manifolds and which would offer a significant advantage over a Pinto and why?

Cheers

S.

Duratec has the exhaust on the right like the Pinto, this would make the most sensible choice and would go in fairly easily, lots of off the shelf parts available and 180 BHP out of the box.

Budget on around 3-4K for the conversion.

Where abouts in Cambridge are you?

Chaz.

But whether it could be deemed 'a significant advantage' would depend on how you use your car to be honest. You could spend the same

money tuning the Pinto and get some serious power, and have change for a gearbox and brake upgrade!

More often than not, unless it is something you really want to have a go at, and/or the car has sentimental value, it is often wiser/cheaper to sell your existing car, and buy one with the engine you want, rather than try and convert...

Similar to an issue I struggle with (and change my mind on regularly!)...

The decision whether to upgrade my car significantly in a couple of years or not.

I think in reality I will sell and buy a higher spec car instead.

There is a certain level you can take upgrades to that 'make sense' but after that it actually makes more sense to sell and buy the right spec car. Unless there is some sort of emotional attachement like has been said above.

Cheers,

Dave

Some of us find doing upgrades are as much fun as driving. More expensive, you understand, but as much fun.

• Like 1

As Chaz said, easily budget for 3-4k for that swap.

I've done the swap referred to and, if I'm brutally honest, it would have made more financial sense to sell and buy a completely new car with the engine already in or any of the more modern choices of similar output.

However, there was a little more to it than that, as it was a 'voyage of discovery' for me and I've certainly gained confidence and know-how along the way, which kind of ties-in with Norm's comment.

The car is better for it, though, there's more scope for any future upgrades and it has helped to make the car feel more 'mine' in a sense. However, as said often before, a Pinto does offer adequate power that can contribute an excellent all-round car that's more than capable to performing at similar levels to other cars with more powerful or modern engines.

The 'smart' money is probably on looking at other aspects that can make a difference (handling/gearing etc..) if you do decide to keep as is, but it is so easy to get swept away by wanting more, especially when you read and hear about other cars on here and elsewhere.

• Like 1

Hello Chaz, I'm in Cambourne, we met at Stoneleigh whilst sheltering from the rain! :d

I'm not planning to change the engine, just curious really as it seems most engines have the exhaust on the LHS. I agree it's probably better spending the money on upgrading rather than changing, although as Norman says doing the mechanical "stuff" is as much a part of the ownership as the driving for me. TBH - even with my limited knowledge the Pinto has been pretty simple to maintain over the years.