Way Off Topic - Something's Eatin' Me Plant!

CrashBangWallop

Longshot, but as there's so many different careers on here... why not?

I planted five shrubs just over a year ago, all in a row. They've all lived to one year old, but one is struggling. I first thought it was getting too much sun and shrivelling the leaves, but it looks like it's being eaten. All of the other shrubs are fine. There are about a dozen fly-like things near the plant. I wonder if they're feeding off it?

I have no idea what kind of shrub it is. It hasn't grown that much over the year and it never really had many leaves, but it's still producing buds and trying. So, it's not dead yet. I just bought five different ones... stuck 'em in the ground and let nature take over. If anyone has an idea, I'd be grateful. What I should buy to help it out - keep insects away from it, or how to kill them, etc? I don't mind it dying, if it's my fault, but I'll give it my best attempt to keep it alive.

Thanks,

Neil

Here's all of them. All the same size when planted. The "Help me I'm being eaten alive," plant is far right, barely visible. Poor thing. :-D

20120707_103407.jpg

20120705_195140.jpg

20120705_195116.jpg

20120705_195107.jpg

20120705_195150.jpg

20120705_195313.jpg

20120705_195304.jpg

I don't know much about the garden myself, I 'm limited by the wife to cutting and looking after the grass. Did you use the recommended compost, plants like acid or alkaline compost so you need to know which one each shrub prefers.

There are some white leaves on the shrub, is this the problem you are referring to?

Yeh, they all have long names don't they, thats why I only know about Grass, short and simple.

I don't know much about the garden myself, I 'm limited by the wife to cutting and looking after the grass.   Did you use the recommended compost, plants like acid or alkaline compost

Didn't use any compost. I put some diluted baby-bio on them for the first month or so and watered them a lot.  That's pretty much it.

There are some white leaves on the shrub, is this the problem you are referring to?

Well, that and the fact they have several cresent-shaped chunks mising out of them, too. LOL!

hydrosymthisiserinctile

That's not a real word (passing buck to google) Latin equivalent or otherwise? :d Hydro to do with water, but the rest... not a chance.

Me, expert? I know nothing, the only thing I'm an expert at is bullsh1t.

You're not getting a lot of help here are you Crash Bang, better to register on some Gardeners Forums. WSSC for cars and gardening Forums for plants is the best way.

I was banned from even touching artificial plants by my last boss; even they looked dead after I'd been near them! :down:

Looks like it could possibly be a vine weevil ???

That looks like Photinia Red Robin to me and unless I'm mistaken likes a slightly acid soil, if your soil is light and sandy it wont be very happy.

A work colleague has also mentioned Red Robin and after a quick search of google images, it looks likely. Mine looks nothing like the ones in the search, though. LOL! I should have kept the little plastic tabs that say the name, shouldn't I? I just gave the garden centre £50 and said, "Give me some shrubs that will need the least amount of work as possible.

It's probably doubled in height, but barely made any foliage. I'm off to join a gardening forum. :d

Thanks for your input guys.

Neil

have a butchers underneath the leaves ,some times a clue there if its pest control needed , otherwise could be poor soil drainage , some plants dont like damp soil

Norman , regards my post above , read it again , slowly !