Newbie Prospective Owner, Notts/derby Area

IanG1

Hi All,

I am a newbie registered but been lurking around for a while doing some research etc before taking the plunge so to speak.

I am looking to move into Westie ownership after years of bikes, trackdays etc and just sold one of my bikes to release some money to try and make it happen.

Just realised I am only just down the road from a Notts/Derby meet at the clock Shardlow so I intend getting over there next time round to look at some cars and chat to some people.

My thoughts and research are bringing me towards a bike engined car, I want it for back lane blasting and getting into trackdays etc and coming from bikes the high revs and quick acceleration appeals to me, but what I need to know is whether my £6-8K budget is realistic to get me a sorted car and am I being narrow minded by discounting other engines and would I be able to get more car for my money considering other options?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

towards the higher end "might" get you a good blade or for a car engine a good zetec although the best tend to be 9-10k

busas tend to be 10k plus

either will be a lot of fun :-) you just have fun going that bit little bit slower :-)

Our next meeting is on the 26th July, you are most welcome to come along, we should have a good selection of cars, weather permitting.

Garry

Hello Ian

A well sorted 'blade engine car recently passed through the 'for sale' section at around the upper end of your budget, so with patience it looks likely that you may find what you're looking for.

They do tend to shift pretty quick, so perhaps taking a further plunge into joining the club will help ensure that you don't miss out on anything coming up on here first

hi there - nice red one for sale today - in for sale section.... take the plunge :-)

Well, to start with you are at least aware of what you want the car for, a big step in the right direction.

As you can see I'm not a lover of BEC's, but it is horses for courses, they are no good on the road, but represent excellent track cars.

BEC's have no feel to the clutch, are very harsh on the clutch, have no flywheel weight and stall for fun, they are noisy and above all, they were never designed to hall a 500kg car and two passengers about.

If you want a becs buy a fireblade car (not the new type with the air box out of the bonnet), imho this is the only acceptable engine, its the cheepest, most reliable and only needs some minor mods to fit in a car, so when it goes bang, the replacement engine is cheap & easy to fit. They do however need a clutch every 6 months or so.

As for acceleration, on the road there is nothing in it, but a car engine will last better be more tractable and easier to live with particularly on longer runs.

You will have lots of advice and fun with Garry and the boys at Shardlow, take a ride in a few cars and you can see what to expect. I'm sure if you twist Garry's arm he'll help you find a car, he's nearly as much westfield experience as me.........and he is older too! (Not that he's any wiser)

Welcome to the fold, enjoy!

My Megablade indeed passed through the forsale section quickly last week, sold in days, it was and is a great car, you need to experience one and decide if it fits your bill? It sounds like it would, mine gave me no trouble I had it serviced and just enjoyed it and modded the interior/exterior bits n bobs to my liking. I never tracked it which I regret alot but work and weather made it very difficult thats why I let it go... They are fast, fun and cheap to run, get some passenger rides and see what you think, they are noisy, clunky, quite raw, dont half make you smile though...

Dave

Thanks for all the replies, certainly given me some food for thought. Think I really need some passenger rides to make sure I am making the right choice. I am used to clunky raw power as I have just sold my Ducati 916SP which had 130 odd HP and could sound like a bag of nails LOL

Looking forward to next Shardlow meet and seeing some cars, lets hope the sun shines for a change this summer :yes:

Sounds like a BEC might be right up your street but no harm in checking out other engines. Reckon your budget should see you something decent too. I'd say take your time but you do have to move fairly swiftly when a good car comes up. Daves car shifted in no time at all.. :down::yes:

Don't be to sad Mark she's still in the fold...

And so am I!

The newer blade engines have a slipper clutch and it uses a clutch cable rather than a hydraulic clutch and its very smooth and does not stall on moving forward. Removing the reverse box also make the drive train smoother and less clunky (quieter)

I think they do accelerate quicker tan a CEC due to lower engine weight

Hi All,

I am a newbie registered but been lurking around for a while doing some research etc before taking the plunge so to speak.

I am looking to move into Westie ownership after years of bikes, trackdays etc and just sold one of my bikes to release some money to try and make it happen.

Just realised I am only just down the road from a Notts/Derby meet at the clock Shardlow so I intend getting over there next time round to look at some cars and chat to some people.

My thoughts and research are bringing me towards a bike engined car, I want it for back lane blasting and getting into trackdays etc and coming from bikes the high revs and quick acceleration appeals to me, but what I need to know is whether my £6-8K budget is realistic to get me a sorted car and am I being narrow minded by discounting other engines and would I be able to get more car for my money considering other options?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

hi ian where r you? iam just down the road too. could meet with you if you want a passenger ride whan ever we get some sun. i thought about a bike engined car for same reason but i think iam glad i went with the car option for how much i use mine. you may have more acceleration but loose out top end. i go out with bikes alot and think it wouldnt make much differance if your in BE or CEngine you just batter them on the bends most anyway.lol

I am in Long Eaton. Thanks for the offer I would love a ride. What spec of car to you end up with?

hi. i ended up with a pinto. going on hols soon we will hopefully be doing a run out at the august meet at shardlow so come along iam in the green & yellow westie

• 3 weeks later...

ian, i have a great megablade for sale, A1 condition with lots of bells & whistles

• Like 1