Formula 1 Testing Accident

Vinny's Westie

They're now saying it's believed she has been seriously injured, reports from elsewhere suggests it was relatively low sp[eed but into the back of the lorry that had it's loading ramps down....

:down::down::down: Was afraid of that - best hopes and wishes to her and her family.

Must be Maria de Villota - could be really bad as the cars aren't designed for that kind of impact :(

Sadly, correct on both counts.

• Like 1

Reading the latest update it was a low speed (30-40mph) impact into the side of the loading ramp with her helmet taking the brunt of the impact. No wonder that's life threatening.

A very sad day for her and F1. Someone once asked me "Why I like F1 and was it for the crashes?" That had to be one of the most stupid questions I have ever been asked. I hope she makes a full recovery.

From the Guardian website:-

According to eyewitnesses, the accident occurred after De Villota had pulled up in front of her mechanics after completing her first lap of the day. As the mechanics approached to wheel the car back for service, it accelerated forwards and crashed into the stationary vehicle parked nearby.

The front of the Marussia car was destroyed in the crash and De Villota's helmet was seen to impact with the side of the truck.

De Villota was reportedly motionless for around 15 minutes as paramedics attended to her but was seen to move her hands before being transported to hospital.

fingers crossed for her - not a nice thing to witness either :down:

That photo is terrifying.

A sad, sad day and can only hope and prey for her recovery.

Her father Emilio De Villota, who confirmed this afternoon that she had suffered injuries to her face, told Spanish website CarandDriverTheF1.com he had spoken to her shortly before boarding a flight to London to rush to her bedside.

Team Marussia also confirmed the driver was conscious and medical assessments were 'ongoing'

Hopefully some good news.

Fingers crossed. I consider my self very lucky not to have had a major off when racing.