Newbie Introduction

munkee1805

Just thought I'd post a quick introduction as a new WSCC member and new to the forum too.

I've just today picked up my first Westfield, which is a live axle CVH engined car that I intend to take hillclimbing and sprinting some time. The car has been clearly used for this in the past and came with all the required accoutrement's for such activities.

The car may be known to other WSCC members as the (very comprehensive) history file shows some registration docs from the original builders WSCC membership. I also noticed it featured on the SBFS webstore section for Westfield half doors (though I didn't get them with the car, unfortunately).

I've previously built an MK Indy with an R1 engine in it, which took me 4 years to build and register. Unfortunately my wife lost her job not long after I got it on the road and I decided to take the precaution of selling it while the going was good so I never got the pleasure of much driving after years of building (got a couple of trackdays in though).

I was looking into buying a Caterham, then maybe building again and eventually came to my senses of buying a built and registered Westfield for probably less than I could build another Indy for, with much better quality and far cheaper than anything but the doggiest of Caterhams.

As I said, this car is running a CVH engine with twin 40 webers fitted. My plan is to get it well used first and foremost, but in the back of my mind I'm planning an engine upgrade. Initial thoughts were to go Duratec, but I understand that a Zetec may be a simpler swap and would still give more than enough power for less money (maybe, I know how these things tend to balloon!) and hassle. So, I will have plenty of questions for those with enough patience to deal with a technical nugget like me :)

I'm based in York, so might take a little venture down to the local meet at some time to show my face and get to know a few other owners in the area.

Anyway, this is my new toy:

New%20Westy.jpg

And this is what it looked like before I took the checks off, for those who may recognise it (please don't burst my bubble if you know it to have been crashed off a cliff or something! :) )

New%20Westy%201.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Welcome and enjoy :t-up:

lovely looking car mate.. and better without the checks! would love an orange one, but there seems to be so little of them around.

Welcome. Enjoy the car and the great people on here.

nice wheels - what a cracker.... :-) James and Debbie (we are newbies too)

I think i saw this car being winched out of a massive ditch, then badly hammered back into shape by two car thieves using a broken fence post.

Just kidding, she is a beauty mate... enjoy :d :d

Welcome and Enjoy, so far my build of the Westfield has only taken 18 mths but then I have been deployed during that time.

It's remarkable how much darker the orange got once you removed the checks...

Nought wrong with a CVH either!

Welcome to the club and enjoy your car! Get thee to a local meet as well, as has been said, they're a great bunch of people in here. Well, all apart from the Membership Secretary, who's a proper muppet of epic proportions. :durr::laugh:

You can say that again.

And, of course some bloke called Verona, he's the muppets second in command.

Welcome....

An Orange car with a CVH, hummmm sounds like a man with good taste :-)

Zetec will be a far cheaper conversion than a Duratec, but don't underestimate the little cvh, some have seen 160bhp out of a 1.6 with some head work, cam and solid lifters. I'm using a 2ltr bottom end from Ferriday in mine, and it pops along quite nicely.

• Like 1

I think any conversion is a long term plan with the immediate intention being to just get out and drive it.

There are a few bits that could be done. Most obvious is to sort something out about the carb intakes as its currently running those horrible mesh tea strainer things and they're right up against the bonnet so bad air flow. Wad thinking about either a shallow foam filter with cold are feed to the front end (where airflow is most restricted) or maybe a plenum with a cone filter on the end and, again, ducting done cold air from the front.

Obvious answer is to fit a decent filter and cut a hole in the bonnet, but I'm trying to avoid this until I put a 16v engine in, whatever form it may eventually take (might even be a bike unit yet ;) )

Yorkshire area club night tomorrow from 8pm, just along the A64 over the A1 and the Fox and Grapes on the left after about 2 miles.

Hope to see you there.