Overtaken By Own Rear End...

Fangi0

So there I was, trundling along the back roads of Kent. I had not been through rain but the wet roads indicated there had been showers so I was not pushing on much.

I approached a place appropriately named Stone Cross with a tight double apex right hander after a crest. My speed was fine for the dry but as I came in the road was clearly very wet and the second part of the turn very sharp. It was clear I was not going to get round and the option of braking or lifting were long past - better to wait for the slide and try to hold it. But those old live axles really let go in the wet and I was a passenger spinning around and then going backwards into the nearside shrubbery.

Once the car came to a stop and the various branches twigs and leaves stopped whacking me in the face, I concluded that I was ok and wondered what the next bloke coming round the corner was going to make of the scene because I had no traction and couldn't move. He turned out to be a White Knight, stopped got out, asked if I was ok and looked over the car. He then asked if I had a tow rope (which I always do) and then pulled me out with his Astra.

Apart from a broken rear number plate, no damage (as far as I can tell up to now) apart from injured pride.

It shows you that there really are some good people around mixed with the odd idiot like myself, this chap in the Vauxhall turned out to be a recovery driver out for trip with his misses - so how lucky was that?

Trouble is I did not get his details so I can't write to say thanks.

Lesson learned? I hope so.

• Like 1

restores faith in humanity - there are a lot of good uns out there you know :t-up:

and glad it was not too serious :t-up:

Funny how a chap has an off and we all say he was lucky.

That was lucky, at least you're OK.