Banks! Are You Surprised?

Norman Verona

I'm not and I reckon there's a lot more to come.

About time those who earnt substantial sums by defrauding the public and businesses are made to pay the money back and face criminal charges.

But I won't hold my breath. :(

And made to return all bonuses paid over the last 10 years, like you Norman I wont be holding my breath either.

To me it's quite simple, if found guilty the culprits should be sacked on the spot, not asked to resign :angry:

There should not be any severence pay or bonus, they should forfit any share options, just told clear your desk and go.

I imagine there are plenty of other industry skeletons in the investment arms of the big banks. Whether there's anything much by way of scandal from the retail side I'm not so sure. Either way I'm glad I don't work for any of them now!

It's endemic so the ones who get sacked are likely to be scapegoats.

Boils down to how do you make more money? The rest of us, employed or self-employed, have to work harder. Bankers can make more money smply by increasing the risk.

Sadly we are in a bad state at the moment, and the banks are not helping us one bit.

I have been constantly moving money around to try and avoid the bad banks and make the most of what I have, sooner or later it will all come crashing down and the Great Britain will be no more

I`m just glad my wages have appered in my account after this months software "upgrade" !! :oops:

The whole lot are encouraged to do what they do by the people at the top turning a blind eye.

Having worked in the city for 1997 to 2008 i can say it isn't just banks. I was an underwriter and all the markets manipulate "risk" (price) to maintain, or extend margin, and post-FSA they manage to do that over champers at Henley within the systems introduced over the last 2 decades.

The markets (insurance,metals,re-insurance,money etc) are all seperate but have underpinnings of a system (Lomabrdy) where those that "had" leant to tbhose that "had not" - 2012 it's much the same. The majority of city workers work hard and dont have excessive bonuses etc - sadly the current press is tarring all with the same brush.

On a lighter note I now get paid by bankers to muck about climbing their trees (im a tree surgeon).... so i'm happy. dont borrow anything then you dont owe with intertest...

I heard a discussion on the radio today which basically said, why are we surprised. People who work in the city do it for one reason, money. They will push back the boundaries as far as they can to fuel their wealth. Moral and social well-being is not in their make-up.

It is completely wrong. I'm looking at moving everything to the Coop bank or similar, I've had enough, and the best way to ensure the banks change in my opinion is to withdraw our money from these corrupt organisations and not to rely on government or Bank of England action. The sooner we get a responsible banking system based on some genuine social and moral values the sooner we will emerge from the current economic crisis.

• Like 1

It surprises me that the British public just put up with it.

Find an honest person to create a new political party and lets start afresh. No mates in business or the press. Just honesty and doing what they're supposed to do.....

WORK FOR US, THEIR PAYMASTERS.

Norman, I suspect most people have a sneaking fear that although they (the bankers) are really greedy barstewards, their legitimate activities underpin a great deal of the prosperity of the country and that to hit them as they deserve might be a case of cutting off the nose...

Of course once upon a time we made things for a living... :(

We are all to blame in many ways. When your statement comes through for pensions etc as shareholders our representatives push all companies for better performance and the investment companies are the worst at pushing the profits. Whilst the economy was good everyone was happy but now as investments have gone down and the credit crash happened, suddenly it is a witch hunt. Does anyone else get suspicious, that the MP expenses was exposed by the press and then the press get hit by levenson etc. So they hit back with the goverments role in the financial crash and suddenly we have all these stories of banker bonus and imoral tax schemes and now price fixing to deflect the blame.

It has gone on for years in all business in one way or another, opec control price with production of oil, car manufacturers control price by only having so many dealers who have to satisfy an ever increasing coporate standard drug companies make up a price for life saving treatment in the knowledge that dying people will pay anything.. They are all sharp practices

Motco, of course but isn't the cheating just to line their pockets not help the country. I know the banks pay a lot of tax but that doesn't mean they should cheat us.

Jeff, all of that is true. Doesn't make it right. I agree that it's unlikely rich men get rich by being 100% honest but it would seem to me that cheating is now out of control.