You Know You're Old When...

Captain Colonial

Never mind old bean, yours will heal quickly.

To add to all my other woes, I'm diabetic so healing takes a lot longer.

To add to all my other woes, I'm diabetic so healing takes a lot longer.

:down: Don't say that; I got hit with that one last year. Had one of those "could you come in for a little chat" 'phone calls from the doctors surgery, never good things to receive, and that was amongst the news he had for me. :down:

Funny how it leads to the medical profession taking an extreme interest in your feet and eyes. :oops::laugh: (I understand the reasons, just tickles me they should go for the ends as it were.)

When we moved here my doctor couldn't understand why I wasn't taking Metformine.

Turned out that in the UK if you're given drugs for diabetes all your prescriptions are free which comes out of the doctors budget (or did). So, no prescription you pay the full whack.

Hmm, there's a question to throw at the Doctor. It must be said, even though they're a good practice, there's still a bit of a resistance to prescribe stuff directly related. That would explain a lot.

G-man, as I understand it, Metformine is the standard medication for type 2 diabetes.

The other thing was the kit I was told to buy for testing my blood sugar levels. It soon dawned on me that it was pointless. I take no sugar, not even in processed food. So if my levels are high what am I supposed to do.

My doctor here agrees and furthermore says people cannot test themselves. I now go to the blood lab once a month for tests.

The French seem to rely far more on blood tests than the UK. Every town has a lab and the results are normally available later in the day or next morning (depends on time of the test)

I'm at the drugless management stage. Though again as I don't actually add sugar to anything I have to do the look for hidden sugar or things that metabolise into sugars.

Yeah, people want to stick needles in to me and give me little bottles to, er fill. (At times its like someones made me into a human voodoo doll of SteveD :d:o )

As far as I understand it, Metformine isn't a replacement for insulin but it breaks down the sugars in the blood and assists it that way.

I cannot confirm that fruit should be avoided. Some say the sugar from fruit is dangerous others that it's no problem as fructose dissipates on its own.

I try not to avoid fruit, though have to avoid grapefruit. (Not a problem :p ) I do have to avoid "fruit +" where it's unnaturally concentrated. Bread's apparently are the one of the other big hits "sugars" wise. :down:

I was told to eat bread, pasta and potatoes as they release sugar slowly. You must have sugar but not too much or in large hits. Vegetables like cabbage, brocoli, and cauliflower are good.

Also, HM reminds me, that you must eat often and small. I do the often (3 times a day) but she dishes up mountains.

I can deal without sugar but would struggle without fruit and veg.

And red wine of course. (doctor says not to drink white as it has too much sugar. Whenever we go to his house he has a bottle of white to start the meal. I always say "My doctor says I can't have vin blanc"

Now you are talking Norman, a cheeky little red is often beneficial. Sadly it soon becomes a bottle or more.

Bob :d

Never understand those folks who have a gismo for sealing a part drunk bottle.

In this house, if it's opened it's drunk, to the last little drop.

you know you are old when your kids refer to the 1990's as "the old days"...........hehehehe

My favourite one was the man who took his teenage daughter to Live8 in 2005. He was thrilled because The Who were playing.

Afterwards and still buzzing with excitement from their set, he asked her what she thought about the band.

"Terrible - just a bunch of old guys doing cover versions of CSI opening theme songs! How pathetic!"

And back to Earth with a thump... :down:

Class! Bet you wish you still had it? I avoided a Fizzy and started on a RD50, used to strip the engine in the kitchen, my mum was far more easiy going than the Mrs!

Dave

Do you remember the fantic cabellero (not sure of the spelling, old age) unrestricted and good for 65mph