Things We Were Taught As Children

Norman Verona

I was always taught that if I visited someone else's home to be on my best behavior.

I was also taught to be respectful to all people, irrelevant if they were younger or older.

What were you taught?

... always wipe front to back?

Eating on the streets with your hands is for tramps ... and then McDonalds and Subway came along.

Take your shoes off when you go into other peoples' houses. It's surprising the amount of people that stomp over your carpets with their grubby shoes on.

Hats and sunglasses are meant for outside, not inside.

If I did something wrong there were consequences.

Maybe parents today ( my neighbours ) should adopt this attitude and sort their bad behaved kids out but u guess its far easier to just let them express themselves cos their too flipping lazy and the sun shines out their bottom

Be careful or you'll put your eye out.

Then a doctor came along and said it was OK to stick small clear plastic discs in my eyes.

Lot's of things

Children should be seen and not heard certainly springs to mind from Prescott last Sunday. Lot's of the little b*******s screaming and running around.

Also topical at the moment when playing mini rugby the master always used to bellow - "keep hold of the ball - possession is 90% of the game"

Obviously England footballers don't understand this when they aimlessly boot it down the field.

HM refuses to eat in McDonalds and also refused to take the kids (when they were "kids")

We did eat at Subway in Angers and we had a table and plates etc. The food was all fresh and tasty so not bad.

I only take my shoes off, or ask if I should, if the owners have no shoes or slippers on.

I don't own any sunglasses (other than the goggles used in then 7) and never wear a hat except in my own house - for a laugh.

Don't start me. or more to the point, HM on modern parents and their little horrors. We can always tell the Brit-Kids in the super market, they're the ones running around, screaming and out of control shouting "I want, I want". Never see French kids do that. On the one time I saw a French kid burst into tears because he couldn't have something he got a whack for his troubles.

Progress, I suppose.

I wear glasses. Did I stop doing "that" soon enough?

I always remember being told that I should say I was sorry, and that 'sorry means you wont do it again' or variations on that theme...

May parents bought us up well as far as I know and we always had the opertunity to play and explore things, have things explaned to us (including a detailed explanation at the ager of 8 as to the small car along side us being a kitcar, and why it had a q-plate, etc) and to be polite to people, say thankyou for presents, etc.

They where never big on taking shoes of at the door beyond 'no muddy shoes upstairs' and putting the seat down after use, so most of that I learnt later or have had explaned to me by my girlfreind in the last year or two!

Daniel

I wear glasses. Did I stop doing "that" soon enough?

You've stopped? :suspect:

Yes, I found that peeping through keyholes was a waste of time.

That's only if the wind changes Dommo.

Watch too much TV and you get square eyes.

Mouth ulcers come from telling fibs ... told the wife that is still true last night.

I was taught the same things as Norman when I was a tiddler, Although things have changed over the years and some people don't deserve my respect anymore.