Got Pulled By The Old Bill Today....

Lordbenny

Why do that!!!!!!!!!!

If thats the case then they should say so and not lie about why they pulled him :bangshead:

It would be much better if they were to be HONEST rather than sneaky.

err they didn't actually pull him over and its far better to have a friendly action than a confrontational one. When I have spoken to the police about my car in the past its part of community policing. They now know the owner and know he is a reasonable chap etc.

I often feel police get a bad name and this kind of action is actually helping to make them more approachable and better policing. Good for them.

• Like 1

I've been approached twice. Not stopped, not pulled over, both times just spoken to in a friendly, polite, interested manor. Both times (a year or two apart) while stopping at the lay-by opposite the Cat & Fiddle. The first time the Rozzers were already there when I stopped to put a jacket on and turn round to go back down. First time after an interested chat about the car, the traffic officer said something to the effect of good to see you enjoying yourself without being a prat, (I'd seen them up there, so was careful on the way up), and left me with the line; "seen your car round a few times up here, always good to put a face to a car..." :oops:

Second time the traffic car was actually behind me for a short while, pulled in behind me, and a few bikers, and circulated between us all just having a chat, letting us know they were around etc. The one that spoke to me did the same thing though, interested quick chat about the car, followed by a short bit of "advice".

Visitors to the Ponderossa up on the Horse Shoe pass seem to get the same sort of "professionally friendly" rather than confrontational approach a lot.

I do think the Police seem to be in a no win situation though sometimes. Practice the "dominate and control" method and the usual moans come out. Adopt a more softly softly approach and yet more moans...

• Like 2

So a bit of time was wasted - so what?? Nothing wrong with behaving like a normal human being being curious, putting a face to a car etc.

Rory's Dad

• Like 1

I sse it as stopping to have a chat, yes in police time, but in the long run its about building up comunity relations, should your car be nicked, they have first hand experience of it etc etc. Its not all about only talking to the public when they are locking them up you know....

• Like 1

Is this the five-minute argument or the full half-hour?

How long do you want?

So a bit of time was wasted - so what?? Nothing wrong with behaving like a normal human being being curious, putting a face to a car etc.

Rory's Dad

Absolutely, and for the sort of reasons Cast Iron mentioned, I have no issues with it. Personally, I always find that approach, even when I have been stopped vor being, er, naughty :blush::oops: always works much better on me. I know and have heard the very valid reasons for the "control & dominate the situation" approach, but over-used and in the wrong circumstances I also believe it can actually cause some of the confrontational issues that lead to trouble.

I guess the key thing is employing Police officers of sufficient calibre and training to know when to push and when to coax. IYSWIM

A few years ago the kichen window was open and my wife's handbag was visible for those passing by on the back lane (yes I know...) The bag had all the usual stuff in it + a big cheque from her parents (yes I know again). Rang up the police as soon as it was noticed that it had gone. Local Bobby comes round and says I think I know who will have done that. Went off and came back with the bag intact! And the lesson??

Local knowledge works.

Rory's Dad

(we keep the window shut now and the handbag out of harms way)

Nice story, glad you got the bag back.

I've come across the exact oposite, living in Cardiff's student land we had a couple of break ins over the years. Every time, some disinterested officer would turn up a couple of days after as if it was a PITA for them to be dragged away to yet another student house break in, they didn't bother taking prints and told us to give up on ever seeing our valuables again. Probably had more pressing business to take care of like having a nosey round some nice local cars.

I think quite frankly the attitude and negative comments towards the Police in this threat is appalling.

I think they work hard enough and deal with stuff a lot of people wouldn't ever be able to deal with to have 10 minutes to stop and admire a car. Yes they might be checking out the tyre tread but like Rory's dad mentioned local knowledge is the key to solving all crimes.

Diddy, im sorry that the uninterested officer didn't solve your crime however they're not all bad. In fact you will come across more good than bad if you were 'Job'. Also living in Cardiff doesn't help :p

People clearly live in a fantasy land these days thinking that ALL crimes are solvable and detectible. Where as the reality is that they arn't and is very hard to detect a crime these days. Police officers are not, I repeat NOT robots and need some down time as well due to the atmosphere they work in.

Like people have mentioned it is a lot harder and stressful these days when the cuts are being implemented so don't they deserve 10 minutes to stop and chat to a member of their community?

Them stopping and speaking to LordBenny has most likely given LordBenny the confidence to either report something in the future/to stop and speak in the future or just restored some more faith in the local officers that patrol his area.

Iv said my bit...

Dan

P.S where's the popcorn when you need it? ;)

Dan, I agree with all you say except that "People clearly live in a fantasy land these days thinking that ALL crimes are solvable and detectible. Where as the reality is that they arn't and is very hard to detect a crime these days"

It may be more accurate to say that crimes cannot be solved due to the resources available. No fault of the Police but the government who fund them.

Very true Norm, in this day and age where health and safety will tell us say all accidents are preventable, all crimes are solvable with enough effort and money.

But we don't have infinite money and resources to throw at a stolen bike. With the current cutbacks and the police protesting, image is everything. We see police stopping for a chat about a car or having an ice cream in the park and the public start to think they must have plenty of time and money. What are they complaining about? There's plenty of slack in the system.

We all know it's about building relationships, putting faces to cars, building up a rapport, softly softly catchy monkey, but some of us will inveitably think they are wasting time, money and resources.