Track Days

hogman

So then, am planning on attending afew track days next year in the Westie, but with the BEC conversion underway I am now wondering what is needed to make the car suitable (ie in the regs) for participating in track days??

Is it still the 1 litre oil catch tank - not really suitable to a BEC as all the overflows/breathers etc are all in 1 sealed system?? Hmm will have to look at that one, whats everyone else with a BEC done?

Double throttle springs? Hmm will have to look at that one, whats everyone else with a BEC done?

Anything else apart from Crash hat and long sleeves?

Cheers

Kevin

What engine are you using Kevin?

You can put the breathers to a catch tank like any other engine, so no problems there. The only one not to plumb in with that lot is the carb breather, otherwise the others can pressurize the carbs somehow and not make it run well.

A double throttle spring is easy, and probably necessary just as much to give you a reasonably meaty throttle pedal as much as safety. Various ways of doing it, but on my blade I just put in a spring where the old throttle return cable goes on the carbs (bikes have two throttle cables, one opens, one closes).

Other than that, there's not a lot else to do really. Crash helmet and long sleeves are a must, and also maybe an intercom so you can hear the passengers scream! Also, if you've got the standard Westie rollbar, you might want to consider going for an FIA rollbar instead, as IMHO, the standard one would be as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you were unfortunate enough to roll.

Chris

Sealed system = no breather required, 'cos it all gets breathed back into the engine.............

Most track days have very loose regs, ie as long as the car isn't physically falling to bits you'll be fine. The only time they'll send you home is if the car has a dangerous fault like it's spewing petrol / oil / thick white smoke etc or if you're a noisy b*******.

Most cars (including popular track monkeys like eleezes)  run a sealed breather thing - they dump the oil back to the sump or burn it in the engine, so no probs there.

You won't need two throttle return springs either, although it's obviously a good idea.

On the six days I did this summer no one so much as looked under my bonnet. Is that good or bad?  ???  ???

Sealed system = no breather required, 'cos it all gets breathed back into the engine.............

Depends though, because its only a sealed system on the bike when it breathes back into the airbox, and virtually all BECs ditch the airbox in favour of a regular panel filter, leaving the breathers with nowhere to go.

Chris

Sam, I know a couple of trackday companies say to have double throttle springs for safety, but I agree, on normal carbs and on most trackdays I don't really think you need one.

On bike carbs though, because they have a positive closure of the throttle from the second cable, the standard spring tend to be a lot weaker, so you end up with a very light hair-trigger throttle at best, and one that sticks at worse  :0

Chris

Yeah, but Hogman said...........

not really suitable to a BEC as all the overflows/breathers etc are all in 1 sealed system??

Suggests to me that he has a closed system. I could be mis-interpreting him though.......

Right then, apologies let me clarify alittle!

The R1 system is an enclosed one, so no need for a breather catch tank as all the breathers return to the system!

We have put a much stronger spring on the throttle aswell, and so aint gonna bother with a second one!

And yes Mr Westfieldman - I will have a lovely mild steel custom made exhaust jobbie from Tony Laws - with probably the largest ever silencer as I want it nice and quiet so I can get on all the tracks!!  :0  :p  ;)

Mr Bananaman.. Tyres A021R's, go-go juice will be available and the balls bit - the mrs seems happy so must be there!!  :0  :p  ;)

Cheers

Kevin

Two and a half thousand plus postings, and it's only 1-0? I demand a re-count........ :D  :D  :D

Two and a half thousand plus postings, and it's only 1-0? I demand a re-count........ :D  :D  :D

2500 postings,

You need to get a life....or a more demanding job! :durr: