Sprint track at Dunsfold?

RICHARD+PHILIP

As some of you will know Top Gear have been using Dunsfold Airfield (Sussex) as their test track.

In the local Newspaper this week, the new owner of the circuit is asking the local residents, what they wish to do with 2 miles of Airfield and associated taxiways. He appears to be wishing to open up the airfield for other uses (model aeroplane flying etc. Given that Topgear are using it as a test track it also appears that the owners would be willing to use the area for motorsport of one sort or other.

This got me thinking that it is perhaps a unique opportunity for a new sprint circuit in the south of England. So Are there any motorclubs around that maybe interested in taking up the challenge of setting one up?

Dos anybody think that the MSA/ BARC would be interested in a new Southern Venue. (I list these two as they probably have the most clout)

The new owners are the Rutland group and they are holding an open day at the airfield on January 11th to consult the public about what to do with the site (I Believe they are not allowed to dig up the runaway as it is an alternate for Gatwick)

it is perhaps a unique opportunity for a new sprint circuit in the south of England

I certainly hope, so we need more down sarf  :cool:  :D  :)  ;)  :D

Not wishing to p*** on your porridge but I think they've already had problems from the locals with noise (car noise that is, not aeroplane) as it is so they may well have an uphill fight getting licensed for 'race' events  ???

Personally I'd love it as it would be my shortest journey to a race ever  ;)

Having a meet on 11 January is  :durr:  cos thats the first public day of Autosport. Many of the "track supporters" could be at the NEC instead on Dunsfold  :(  :(  ???

From what I have read about this the site has planning permission for film work etc. There has been one or two complaints from the locals about the noise from cars but as this is fully licenced they can do nothing about it. My view is simple if you don't want to hear noise don't live next to an air field, or buy a set of ear plugs.

Got cut off in full flow sorry, The real problem nowadays is that people don't want anything happening that they don't like and will object fully.

they are

DANNies

do absolutly nothing nowhere.

BANNAs

Build absoluty nothing anywhere.

Unfortunatly both these groups are well organised and educated and make enough fuss to make it hard for others who want to have some enjoyment. The recent thread on Scoobynet regarding Bedford autodrome. Here is a fully licenced venue which due to one complaint had Jonathan palmer driving up fron Sussex to sort out the complaint which lead to the noise level being reduced for the day and some drivers being refused track time in cars which at the begining of the day were fine. The fear of these killjoys is such that owners react even when they are not in the wrong. The only thing we as enthusiast can do is support applications for tracks and track days, write in support of organisers when locals object, much better if you are local your self and turn up to local hearings to support the case. At Dunsford I would hope the locals see sense because If I owned it I would apply for a full time flight status for the airfield as a commercial field pikey site or chemical recycling plant.Given the choice what would you have a few cars orone of the alternatives?