Ot - Hypoallergenic Dogs

Truly Skint

:d :d :d :d :d

Got my old girl back on the road this year. The car not the wife :d

Briefly!!!

After a couple of miles you were spluttering back home!

ps nothing wrong with walking the streets with little plastic bags, it's the lazy b*******s that don't have the bags that bug me.

We have people round here that bag it, and then throw the bag in the hedgerow !!

If the allergy to dogs is the same trigger as cats then there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. The agent that caused cat allergy is the felD1 protein. This is produced via the saliva gland and from glands under the skin. as the saliva dries or during grooming it produces the fine damder partocles thst contain this. The particles are about <10u in size IRC A cat that licks itself less is likely to produce less. It is not the fur that causes the reaction. Keeping the levels dander down is a help so frequent hoovering is good as is any king of air purification (but I'm not convinced by the later) sometimes a decent shampoo like petal cleanse is good too.

Like I said this is for cats and small animals not so sure about dogs.

If the allergy to dogs is the same trigger as cats then there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. The agent that caused cat allergy is the felD1 protein. This is produced via the saliva gland and from glands under the skin. as the saliva dries or during grooming it produces the fine damder partocles thst contain this. The particles are about <10u in size IRC A cat that licks itself less is likely to produce less. It is not the fur that causes the reaction. Keeping the levels dander down is a help so frequent hoovering is good as is any king of air purification (but I'm not convinced by the later) sometimes a decent shampoo like petal cleanse is good too.

Like I said this is for cats and small animals not so sure about dogs.

Yep "SMEG" a couple of bolts decided to come undone that held the exhaust manifold on :down: decided to protect the new engine and potter home :(

The joys of running in a newly built performance engine :down:

When you get one I am sure you will be as cautious as I was.

On a different note I realise after last night, I need to get some bigger side mirrors, as when I was making progress I couldn't see you behind :p

This is my daughter's reply - remember she is not a vet nor an allergenics expert, but she does have to place dogs with people with all sorts of allergies and health problems.

Hi

Having an allergy should not prevent you having a dog (or other pet!).

To answer your questions as you ask them....

2. Is the dogs configuration ie: poodle male / female or cocker spaniel male / female likely to effect the hypoallergenic tendancies

3. Could you be effected by a puppy to the same extent as an adult dog (I guess size will effect skin surface hence more chance)

It doesn’t matter if mum or dad is a poodle or a cocker- either way round works just as well. Also it doesn’t matter if the dog is a puppy or an adult, if you are affected you will be either way.

It all really hangs on you- what is it you are actually allergic to with dogs:

1. The shed fur (you show symptoms even being near someone with fur on clothes/ in a furry room)

2. The dander/ pollen carried in their coat (you show symptoms of hayfever/ dust mite allergy not associated with dogs)

3. Their saliva (you are fine till the lick/ snuffle/ sneeze near or on you)

There are several common sense methods you can employ to help you with all allergies: hoovering the house regularly with a hoover equipped with a High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter, wiping the dog down with a wet towel after exercise and at the start of the day, bathing the dog weekly, cleaning the dog’s bed regularly in a washing machine (purchase it with this in mind), don't let the dog sleep in your bedroom & using a HEPA fitted air filter.

1. Cockapoos will help with the first one- they are called non- moulters, which means they don’t shed their fur with the same rate as a moulting dog. Although they will shed a little if brushed. However it may be you are only allergic to certain types of dog fur e.g. short bristly fur of a Jack Russel is very different to that of a spaniel (long and silky) for example. A certain amount of trial and error with some friendly neighbourhood hounds might help here! Also there are other breeds which are non- moulters too: e.g. Bichon Frise, Yorkshire terriers, Shih Tzus. See link: http://www.thekennel...rg.uk/item/2100

2. Cockapoos will not help you with the dander or pollen in the coat as this will still be present whatever the coat type. However those clever pharmaceutical boffins have come up with a product which is harmless to dogs and people but will almost completely prevent allergens sticking to dogs’ coats and so prevent this kind of allergy. Assistance dogs organisations use this reliably to allow their dogs to work in public areas such as schools/ work places etc. See link: http://www.biolife-i...%26aid%3DPC2%26

3. Cockapoos will also not help you with the dog saliva allergy. You will be allergic to the proteins in the dogs’ skin, saliva and urine. The dogs will lick it’s fur, chew a toy, dribble in it’s sleep or sneeze near you and you will be affected. This can be helped by ensuring you wash your hands regularly after touching the dog or it’s toys, bedding etc. However this is the worst case to prevent and really is only preventable by not being near dogs at all.

4. As most breeders use a stud, are there tell tale signs of it actually being a Cockapoo when inspecting a pup

Regardless of whether you are allergic or not, I would not recommend you are VERY careful from whom you buy a pup. If at all possible get to know the local dogs of the breed you like and ask them about their health and where they came from. There is no better recommendation than word of mouth from a trusted source. General advice includes: never buy a pup from ANYONE who will not allow you meet the Mother. You should always insist on this and they should insist on meeting you on several occasions before allowing you to buy a pup. You should be allowed to meet the mum with her pups and the set up they are kept in (Preferably a normal family home rather than a kennel). They should encourage you to visit the pups while they are still with the mother on several occasions to get to know them (and the breeders) and you should not ever take a pup who is less than 12 weeks old. No handovers at motorway services, no kennels in the garden, no excuses that mum s not available, or it a long way for you to drive. This way you will only be buying from a caring and loving home. The dog’s behaviour and health are just as important as whether you are allergic or not and only heartache lies at the end of the road if you do not do your homework properly.

See link: http://www.thekennel...rg.uk/item/2101 and http://www.bbc.co.uk...up_advice.shtml

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your responses. A special thanks to the daughter or MOTCO, very informative and comprehensive response. Lets see what the final decision is...........

Regards

Mike