Ot - Hypoallergenic Dogs

Truly Skint

Do we have any dog experts on the forum. Before we get excited, I mean those with four legs !

I am allergic to dogs however am told that hypoallegenic dogs are the answer. Anything crossed with a poodle is good apparantly. So my questions are as follows:

1. Do we have anybody on the forum with experience of cockapoos

2. Is the dogs configuration ie: poodle male / female or cocker spaniel male / female likely to effect the hypoallergenic tendancies

3. Could you be effected by a puppy to the same extent as an adult dog (I guess size will effect skin surface hence more chance)

4. As most breeders use a stud, are there tell tale signs of it actually being a cockapoo when inspecting a pup

5. Are there any allergy sufferers with first hand experience of this strange phenomina

I do expect a lot of abuse on this but it is nothing to the abuse that I will get from the family for stalling this decision any longer

Cheers

Mike

Firstly, please make sure you are not allergic to these cross breeds before you buy one, try before you buy if you can. I work with a Husky Welfare Rescue, and we are overwhelmed at the moment, so are most rescue centres.

Secondly, linked to the first have a look at rescue centres and think about giving a dog their forever home.

Most good breeders will not use a stud, they will know both parents well and they will have all the correct paperwork and health checks for the breeds, however you are unlikely to find reputable breeders for such breeds as they are not recognised breeds.

Not meaning to sound harsh if I do, but I have lived with dogs all my life and have never been fond of the 'fashion' dogs such as labadoodles etc

Have a look at http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Breed-Center/Hypoallergenic.aspx for me information

First of all, there is no such thing as a dog that is completely hypoallergenic - its just marketing and an urban myth from what I've read and been told.

Having said that, some dogs are much less likely to cause an allergic reaction than others, like a labradoodle, but generally and obviously short-haired non-shedding dogs like dachshunds and Jack Russells can be a good bet.

Perhaps calling your local RSPCA and arranging a visit to expose you to some suitable dogs and see how you react? Certainly would consider seeing your GP and getting an appointment with an allergy consultant to see if anything can be done to control it.

Good luck! :)

I'm also allergic to dogs, but only found out later in life as my family have always had Poodles (Pedigree not any cross-breed) which never gave me a problem. Great dogs and when circumstances allow we'll be welcoming a standard size Poodle into our home.

My daughter works at Hearing Dogs for Deaf People and is quite conversant with the various dog breed's benefits and disadvantages to a range of people. I shall forward you question to her for advice and post it back up here when I hear back. You can even have the answer in British Sign Language if you prefer! :p

Later. Have asked her and she says it's not simple and depends on what aspect of dogs you're allergic to: dander, fur, saliva, etc. She will answer me in an email tomorrow and I'll put the details on here.

My wife has allergy problems and asthma and we have had Bedlington Terriers for nearly 30 years without any problems.

My wife has allergy problems and asthma and we have had Bedlington Terriers for nearly 30 years without any problems.

How's the latest family edition, by the way? I need an update! :)

My wife is allergic to most animals.. but loves them... our last dog was a Weimaraner ... she built up a resistance to it over a short time.. short haired breeds seem to be better than long haired.

We have just bought another pup after being without a dog for 10 years... wife was sneezy and eyes watered for a few days.. she took ant-histemen for a few days.. and is now getting used to him. He is a cross breed, Lab/Weimaraner... Labmaraner...

Suppose it depends on how bad you are.. different scales... for different people..

PS: Bungee is 8 weeks old

Craig

7187503835_374bcf3b46_c.jpg

Hi Scott, she is great, especially if you like your lawn dug up,washing pulled off the line, anything you put down dragged across the garden and shreaded,but on the plus side she has done 3 shows now and come away with 7 rosettes, and the icing on the cake she qualified for Crufts 2013 last week. Would post some pictures but haven't mastered the process yet.

How is Sophie doing?

• Like 1

Very pleased for you, wish you much happiness and a long innings together! :)

Get a cat TS, you don't even have to walk them :laugh:

More time out in the car when the sun shines :love: as opposed to walking the streets with tiny plastic bags :p

Evening Paul :) Well done on the Crufts opportunity, are you going to go for it :)

Hi Steve, yes we are hoping to be at Crufts but long way to go yet, just because she qualified isn't a guarantee she will make it.

ps nothing wrong with walking the streets with little plastic bags, it's the lazy b*******s that don't have the bags that bug me.

:d :d :d :d :d

Must get together Paul, what are you doing with G&M 2 this year?

Got my old girl back on the road this year. The car not the wife :d

I've been around dogs most of my life and haven't found one I was not allergic to.

Although short haired were better.

Cats are many times worse, and they dislike me too.

...as Mid Life can testify to!

But at the end of the day everyone is different, so as suggested - try before you buy!

What about a Mexican Hairless?

And NO, that's not a type of ladies topiary!!!!