Did I Say Anything Wrong?

Norman Verona

Don't we all?

Norm, I understand your comments but Conehead has bought a Westy and the run it at a track day causing the first engine to go, is FULL of enthusiasim and is eager to learn (and not wanting to splash too much cash) - which I respect and deserves credit where its due. The second engine was fitted but a simple mistake on tightening an oil pipe for the dry sump system resulted in its expiry...I have lost count exactly how many engines there have been :(

Maybe a few basic tips and hints from people like you would benefit him, me and many people on this forum - I think you just voluntered to write an article for WW ;)

Pistol. I fully agree. Those with knowledge should pass it on.

However this cannot extend to highly complex matters such as building an engine. To answer "what is the torque on the big end bolts" is relatively simple. To answer "how do I build an engine" (I know he didn't ask that) is impossible to answer.

I get concerned when someone asks "how do I bleed my brakes". The answer is relativity easy, the problems encountered on the way are complex and impossible to foresee or answer.

Thats why I had to spend 5 years as an apprentice. There are so many things you do without thinking of them that it's very difficult to train someone off the job and remotely through a forum.

I said, on the original thread, that you wouldn't decide to carry out surgery by going on surgeons.com and asking questions.

Yep fully understand, looking back I do wish I spent more time playing with my first cars and purchased bangers. But having stripped my 16v head to replace the valve stem seals nothing beats having a go and doing (learning how) it yourself. Especially when shortly after assembly it survived a track day at brands :) :) .

Maybe a few basic tips and hints from people like you would benefit him, me and many people on this forum - I think you just voluntered to write an article for WW ;)

An article in Westfield World is a great idea, but it wont help Conehead because he wont join the club! :bangshead: :bangshead:

Just noticed that there is a South Wales area meet next week. Why doesn't someone from the area invite Conehead along to discuss his problems and maybe offer a solution.

I fully understand what you mean, especially Facebook.

However, we are supposed to be a community who are supposed to chat a bit and help each other with problems. I know very few people on here personally (apart from those I met at Stoneleigh). But I "feel" like I know everyone.

Conehead has had a torrid time, which at first appeared to be bad luck but went way beyond that. It would appear that he is the cause of his woes. No shame in that, he tried and full marks for that. But there comes a time to recognise your knowledge and experience are not sufficient for the job you are tackling.

I do know how he feels having cemented tiles down 4 times only to have them come loose every time. I accept it's my lack of knowledge and asked for advice based on that lack.

Guess we better be on the lookout for a Westie for sale - with no engine.

Norman,

I know Conehead, and to say he is the cause of his own woes without knowing the full picture is a bit unfair. He isn`t just doing this work on his own - he has asked and taken a load of advice and help from local members.

The problem with a forum is it is in-personal (sp?). Had I not known Conehead I would agree with your initial comments, but as I know the situation I can see how it would have caused offence. I don`t think you were at fault at all, it's just the drawback of e-mail or web chat as a form of communication.

Also knowing Conehead, he wouldn`t have taken it to heart and he will get over it!!! Lets face it, he is far more p******** off about his engine rather than what was said on here.

does sound like a dry sumped race engine isn't the best to begin learning on.. credit on the chap for posting his misfortunes though - think i'd have kept quieter, but that wouldn't have helped anyone.

I had some 1100 conrods and pistons kicking about from an old fiesta - i considered if they could be used to raise compressions - but kept the std 1300 block and have abused it for years

- I recently dropped a 1600head onto it for the bigger valves

- but even that needed work on it - despite having been used by a member and sold as a good spare.. all the guides were shot to pieces - and even then needed extra machining for the double springs.

- unless you know what to look at it is hard to eliminate one problem at a time - and if you miss the main problem that you have a very dead engine very quickly.

Even in the know it can be hard to know what is best..

Am currently looking at a corsa which came in for a misfire, compression test showed a low cylinder - found a misplaced follower - but took some time to find the oil pick up pipe loose - it had eaten a follower after the lifter hadn't pressurised.

Am now looking at a used head and cams, with a warning that the crank has a chance of lunching itself still.... but then a used engine is also an unknown proposition... and dropping the whole crank just to check is going to add a chunk.

On a older car ( or a lower value kit car ) it then becomes borderline on uneconomical.

Gotta advise as best as - then let customer decide. ( or the OP ;-) )

Edited by blankczechbook

Mat, the fact that he had helpers wasn't, as far as I know, divulged,

However, from memory, all the engine failures have been through assembly errors. (if not I apologise).

I did say that to teach someone how to build an engine is probably impossible over a forum. I also believe that if you're not currently experienced in building engines your face to face advice will not cover every eventuality,

I wouldn't be prepared to write an article on the subject as I haven't built an engine for over 40 years so I've probably forgotten more than I remember. Basic engineering practices apply which would include methodical sequences to tightening fittings, like oil pipes, cleanliness, preparation of mating surfaces, correct application of sealants etc.

Please pass my feelings to Conehead, I wasn't trying to cause offence, only to point out what the underlying problem may be. I've seen non mechanical people doing mechanical work and it can be unbelievable what they do. Not saying Coneheaf is such a person but he has built several engines, all of which have failed.