Did I Say Anything Wrong?

Norman Verona

On the techie page there is a poster who has gone through, I think, 3 engines. None seem to have done many, if any miles.

He is asking where he can get bits for the 3rd (or 4th) engine he's planning to rebuild and wondering why he's having such bad luck.

So, I post:

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

when I blow up this engine im rebuilding now.

Is that the problem, "I'm rebuilding"

It took me 5 years to learn how to build an engine and 50 years later I'm still learning. How much training have you had?

I hope you don't take offence at this comment, just felt it needed saying.

Which gets the following response.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I hope you don't take offence at this comment, just felt it needed saying.

It took me 5 years to learn how to build an engine and 50 years later I'm still learning. How much training have you had?one of the reasons I come on here for help.

This is the sort of comment that has really stopped me becoming a fledged member as I realise I am not perfect but do not need to have the point re-afirmed by people I do not know. By the way thank you Pantherman I will be buying a set from Historic racing.

So,

a) was my comment justified

b) was I as diplomatic as I could be

c) should I not have posted and left him to it

Norm, I think you are right - it's taken me 40 years to be a tree climber (arborist) i can build anything or fix anything like an engineer can.... each to their own i reckon - i think you comments were justified and appropriate. each day i learn something new.... finally, i let other experts do stuff on my car because it's not my underpinning knowledge... cheers, james

In other words, we should only help posters with good news and not what maybe, an unpalatable truth.

I'll remember that for the future.

In fairness to the OP, it does seem that he's had a torrid time over recent months and, I've no doubt, a bit of frustration got the better of him on that occasion.

He appears a decent guy and I'm sure that he meant no harm, but I guess it's only natural that some hard questions may be asked given, what appears to be, reports of ongoing problems and engine failures.

I don't think that Norm was overly critical. Hopefully the OP will see that, given time to reflect and realise that advice/practical help is always on offer

I have certainly seen worse comments on here Norm, I don't believe you were vindictive in any way.

We all read things differently, the problem with no body language.

I first stripped an engine aged 11, now 20 years on I still learn new stuff about the old engines

norm i wouldnt worry you are correct , you cant seem to post anything these days without upsetting some do gooder no life with nothing better to do

(not aimed at anyone in particular) just my opinion

one thing i have noticed is ,if you post summat that the op does not want to hear then they get upset

a op can ask a question and have twenty people post the correct answer ,but they will not respond until someone posts a answer that they want to hear ,even if it is the wrong answer

I think you are spot on Norman, the other observation I have made and I am not sure why this is, but generally it's the Forum Users who seem to get upset easily. Possibly because the club members meet up from time to time and do know each other face to face and know when someone is taking the p***. In the case of the Speed Series drivers most know the rest very well and we are always taking the p*** out of each other, :d:laugh::d

• Like 2

Well I did respond with an offer of help. I know it's probably not of any use seeing as there's a big puddle between us.

But I've drive further than Sheffield to South Wales to help people before now.

This is the benefit and grief of a boardroom. Anything that anybody says can be taken in any different numbers of ways.

The real problem is when someone posts when they are in a state of high emotion - we've all done it. It's so easy to think the world is against you when you're on your fourth engine, and you respond in a way that seems appropriate at the time but is wrong in hindsight. Instead of kicking the cat, we now bash the keyboard.

It amuses me when someone in here posts along the lines of, "Why doesn't the factory ever post anything in here?" - well, generally speaking, when they do, it's met with a wave of replies about how most things they do are wrong. Would you keep posting if everything you contributed was trashed, or would you just think it wasn't worth it?

Is there an answer? Nope. Personally, I try to use the emoticons as much as possible if what I say could be misinterpreted, but it's not even 80% successful.

Deep breath...

...and relax. :)

I think you are spot on Norman, the other observation I have made and I am not sure why this is, but generally it's the Forum Users who seem to get upset easily. Possibly because the club members meet up from time to time and do know each other face to face and know when someone is taking the p***. In the case of the Speed Series drivers most know the rest very well and we are always taking the p*** out of each other, :d:laugh::d

IMHO thats a valid point that posters should consider when replying or taking the preverbial, do you actually know the OP and would you walk up to someone you dont phsically know and "offer advice"

A name on the boardroom doesnt mean you know them, its like people who think FaceBook friends are real!

I fully understand what you mean, especially Facebook.

However, we are supposed to be a community who are supposed to chat a bit and help each other with problems. I know very few people on here personally (apart from those I met at Stoneleigh). But I "feel" like I know everyone.

Conehead has had a torrid time, which at first appeared to be bad luck but went way beyond that. It would appear that he is the cause of his woes. No shame in that, he tried and full marks for that. But there comes a time to recognise your knowledge and experience are not sufficient for the job you are tackling.

I do know how he feels having cemented tiles down 4 times only to have them come loose every time. I accept it's my lack of knowledge and asked for advice based on that lack.

Guess we better be on the lookout for a Westie for sale - with no engine.

I think you are spot on Norman, the other observation I have made and I am not sure why this is, but generally it's the Forum Users who seem to get upset easily.

Does seem to be that way doesn't it, maybe they're not feeling the wuv :love:

I know of at least one long time and very active member who doesn't come on here anymore as he couldn't believe all the moaning sh*te being posted on here last time he popped in for a look :(

As a newbie and member, and one who doesn't know many on here I think I'm qualified in saying that when someone posts, they should take all advice and comments on board; I think your advice was constructive

I for one would definitely prefer someone tell me their opinion, even if it was that I'd done something really daft (not saying that's what the OP has done!)

That's the great benefit of such a forum