Wow, Thats One Expensive '7'

Lordbenny

by that token all BMW owners with a 316 1 Series would think a BMW M3 CSL was a ridiculous amount of money as it's not that far from their one...

No, I think most 316 owners know that their cars are a long way off the performance and desirability of a CSL. I was suggesting that most of us dont consider an R500 to be worth more than 4/5/6/7 times the price of our cars.

It's just the law of diminishing returns and applies to the world of cars, bikes, hi-fis, computers, coffee machines, watches .... you name it.

A Rolex doesn't tell the time any better than a Casio digital but people continue to buy them.

You'd possibly be surprised by how many reasonably serious car nuts and petrolheads there are amongst the seriously wealthy, some of them just tend to keep their heads down and speak softly about it, to avoid the "footballer"/"Cheshire-set" gratuitous display of wealth accusations. I'm sure for many, they are just status symbols, but don't tar everyone with that brush. ;):d

Where did the price suddenly get to £60K by the way, had to double check back myself, but its circa £53K.

As long as there's a six month waiting list, (if true?), Caterham can't be going too far wrong. :p:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::oops:

I think you'd have to drive one to see the difference... ;) but as Dave says some people want (and can afford) the best.

why pay £10k for a Westfield when you could get a Dutton for under a grand? it's still a se7en (albeit a fugly one) :laugh:

Watches are a classic example; years ago, my boss at the time, lost an expensive (to me) dress watch. The insurance coughed up, and IIRC, while we were on our way to a clients we called into a jewellers so that he could sort out a replacement Omega. 'Course, as you do, slightly bored I start picking the damn things up, wondering what all the fuss was about.

I knew I'd made a bad and ultimately expensive mistake when I picked up one of the Seamaster's. Mad as it sounds, it was the strap that did it, the shear quality and precision of the metal strap made it feel like an instrument, a machine, not "just a watch". Ended up doing an awful lot of overtime that year so I could buy one. And no, it doesn't tell the time any better than the Casio it replaced. But every morning and evening when I put it on and take it off, it still feels special.

Watches are jewellery in my book which is a bit different, same as art, a personal taste thing. If you want it, buy it, you dont have to justify why you bought it, I totally understand that. I was merely throwing out the fact that there was a pricey Caterham on PH and wondered who would pick it up. My question was answered fairly early in the thread in that most of them go abroad.

Watches are jewellery in my book which is a bit different, same as art, a personal taste thing. If you want it, buy it, you dont have to justify why you bought it, I totally understand that. ...

To me, cars are no different, someone spent £5.5m on a Bugatti Type 41 Royale and some people think we're mad for spending thousands on a car with no roof, stereo, aircon or built in satnav.

Personally, I wouldn't say the Caterham is that over-priced considering the waiting list and the prestige of an R500 ... but then I don't have £53k burning a hole in my back pocket

That's my point though; anything much beyond a basic cheap hatchback/saloon, has stopped just being transport and to some extent, is the same: a luxury. We're just talking degree. :d

Watches are a classic example; years ago, my boss at the time, lost an expensive (to me) dress watch. The insurance coughed up, and IIRC, while we were on our way to a clients we called into a jewellers so that he could sort out a replacement Omega. 'Course, as you do, slightly bored I start picking the damn things up, wondering what all the fuss was about.

I knew I'd made a bad and ultimately expensive mistake when I picked up one of the Seamaster's. Mad as it sounds, it was the strap that did it, the shear quality and precision of the metal strap made it feel like an instrument, a machine, not "just a watch". Ended up doing an awful lot of overtime that year so I could buy one. And no, it doesn't tell the time any better than the Casio it replaced. But every morning and evening when I put it on and take it off, it still feels special.

what a love story ;):d

if you went to a car meet and didnt like anybody there, would you go back? ???:oops:

I've just spent 18 months of my life building a car that is now worth less than the parts and testing cost me.

Even I think I'm stupid and can't work out why I've done this. Dunno what sane people would make of it :laugh:

Wouldn't have it any other way mind you......... :t-up:

Yes, but our cars are relatively expensive because we want performance and performance costs. There comes a crossover when performance becomes art and yes a lot of classics (Ferrari, Bugatti etc) fall into that category. I suppose most hyper cars are bought to look good in, show off in, (when was the last time you saw a Zonda at a track day?) IMO hyper cars are completely useless unless you like telling people knowing how much money you've got and I know from experience that's what most buyers purchase them for which is fine. There are a few exeptions but not many!

I was lucky enough to do some laps at Monza in a Porsche Carrera GT, the driver had an F40, a 430 Scuderia and a Diablo SE30, he owned a Ginetta racing team too. He's the sort of guy, there's not many of them, that I take my hat off to....lucky git!

as well as my car my mrs also doesnt get the watch thing either :d Im awaiting on delivery of a Panerai due this week and at the mo im not sure how im going to sneak it past her :oops::d I treat it same as a car if bought right a good place to stick your money, better than the bottom drawer and something to enjoy, mate of mine bought his first Panerai for £5500 and sold it 2 years later for £12k , result try getting that return from barclays ! :t-up: :t-up:

Always thought the Morgan crosses the line between art and performance, you can buy far faster cars for the money but it's the workmanship that goes into making one and the classic styling looks.

Wife wants one, I've told her only when we're retired, until then it's a string of hooligan machines that rattle the fillings out of your teeth and make your ears ring!

I have two Omega's. One is 36 years old and, I'm told is a rare model. It's just the pure mechanics that make me want these timepieces. In fact I would think a Casio digital watch will keep better time and be far less expensive to maintain.

Why is Vincent's art so much more expensive than Joe Briggs efforts. Who knows. Other than one was a mad genius (never heard of a sane genius) and the other a sane artist trying to earn a living.

Why is a Porsche GT3 RS so much more than a VW Beetle.

I'll stop there, you all know what I'm saying.

Now then....

And I though £35,000 for a 2nd hand Westfield was pricey!

**** me, you've got to be completely stupid to spend that kind of money on a Caterham plus...I think you're probably wrong, I really dont think it has got a £60k spec.

I can't see any humour in those comments. Of course the man who doesn't want to join the club but keeps posting (his perogitive) is entitled to his opinion. However when others disagree there's no need to get the boxing gloves out and start ******ging us all off.

My Lord, you're entitled to your opinion but when others say they think your wrong there's no need to get shirty.