Wow, Thats One Expensive '7'

Lordbenny

But that would have cost circa £60k when new and it has only delivery mileage on it....

But that would have cost circa £60k when new and it has only delivery mileage on it....

**** me, you've got to be completely stupid to spend that kind of money on a Caterham plus...I think you're probably wrong, I really dont think it has got a £60k spec.

**** me, you've got to be completely stupid to spend that kind of money on a Caterham plus...I think you're probably wrong, I really dont think it has got a £60k spec.

:t-up: 60K is bonkers but i guess the kind of people who would probably have lots of cash anyway so it probably doesnt matter to them

I think you're probably wrong, I really dont think it has got a £60k spec.

Think what you like, but as well as being a member on here I've also been a member of the L7CGB for over 10 years... this car has been discussed on there with similar astonishment at the 'new' cost already ;)

R500 spec now "starts at £42k", for this particular car to that figure you have to add the cost of all these optional extras:-

Sequential gearbox

Carbon induction kit

Lowered floors

Heater

De cat pipe

Battery master switch

Track day rollbar

Full windscreen and weather equipment

plus 'factory built' which adds another £3k and then the 'on the road charges of IVA etc etc

You'll find that comes to not far short of £60k :p

I really don't get the "you've got to be stupid jibes...", why is it necessary?

I have no problem with it not being something you'd want, or even if you think it's overpriced. (Though I'm not entirely sure I agree, but that's different, I respect your point of view). But owners of silly little plastic sports cars are hardly best placed to tell someone there choices are stupid, are we!

R500 spec now "starts at £42k", for this particular car to that figure you have to add the cost of all these optional extras:-

Sequential gearbox

Carbon induction kit

Lowered floors

Heater

De cat pipe

Battery master switch

Track day rollbar

Full windscreen and weather equipment

plus 'factory built' which adds another £3k and then the 'on the road charges of IVA etc etc

You'll find that comes to not far short of £60k

Okaaaay, that makes it a 13k gearbox then.

I really cant see where the £52k is in that car, I question where the money is in my own car (12 plate R400d superlight with big spec) and I have half that money in it!! and as much as I love sevens I really cant see the attraction of spending £52k on that car as nice as it is when you can buy exactly the same car all be it older for £36k private and it will be no different other than the reg plate, £39k will buy you same car from Caterham cars with under 2,000 miles on that has to be better value. :oops: At £52k I think its financial suicide,realistically you have a £16k blow to look forward to if you keep it 2 years and call me a tight A*** but that would kill it for me!!. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Jeff is spot on with his view, but there will always be someone who will pay top dollar for what they want. It won't be the sort of guy who wants to build one, it will be the type who has to have the biggest most expensive toys what ever and will pay to have bragging rights. The sum of the parts is not the thing it is package they crave. But if you think about it isn't this what is good about Caterham and ownership of the cars?. In the Westfield fold we have seen values plummet as people comment on how cars are too expensive when they are advertised. When Westfield advertised their sport special at £25k in the classified, people were jumping in straight away with it is too expensive and yet they sold it easily. I wish we had the same mentality for our cars that helps to keep the value of Caterhams so bouyant compared with ours.

I note with interest that, historically, Caterhams kept their value. I bought a 1989 BDR in 1992 for about £500 less than new price. This was the case until the past few years when, I would suggest, the company decided to charge more for their product so as to "release" this money.

All goods are (or should be) priced at what the public will pay and not based on costs. A price lower than expectation will lose sales as much as one above.

ed to add that Jeff posted whilst I was typing and I hadn't seen his post when I created mine.

A quick look over on Blatchat, seems to suggest the car itself adds up to about £51K, (ouch!) and the rest is the price you pay for skipping the six month waiting list and buying one straight away from a dealer.

Sounds ambitious, but then look at the number of comparatively more mundane cars that have ended up changing hands at a premium due to waiting lists.

Okaaaay, that makes it a 13k gearbox then.

No, the sequential gearbox is only £3.5k :p

...the weather equipment and tonneau is £2k, the paintjob (any/all paint comes extra on a Caterham...) was over £2k as it's a 'delux paint scheme' colour and also has painted carbon fibre rear arches, the lowered floors, heater, sidescreen armrests, battery master switch and track day package is another £2.5k, add on the £3k factory built option and we're already up to £55k ;) It says 'top spec' so you could assume it's probably also got the race damper kit and possibly a plumbed in fire extinguisher (so that's another £2k)

Now, if you want to be pedantic - and believe me I know how that feels :d you could say that 'only comes to £57k... but in my book that's pretty damn close to a £60k car :oops::t-up:;)

adding to my above post, really money shouldnt come into it when buying this type of car its a hobby car but the way things are at the mo it has to be a deciding factor when buying for the average man off the street, My Mrs doesnt get what I see in sevens and dont suppose she ever will, but I justify it by telling her its a good place to have your money, its insured for £6k more than it owes me, I get a lot of fun out of driving it and even looking at it sat in the garage

:blush: and if the same money was sat in a high interest account I would get no fun looking at the balance and in 2 years time it would be pretty much worth the same as it is now! but in saying all this back to the car in question the buyer of a £52k track car isnt going to be concerned at loosing £16k over 2 years and is a bargain compared to some track cars like a 997 gt3 rs which I really dont get as they are slower than most well driven 7"s at thick end of double the price of that R500 :o :o

Reading about the reliability of Nobles I think I'd take the Caterham ;)