Well, That Was Exciting...

Captain Colonial

Just had a CD in the computer drive, which spun it up to 48x - followed by a massive BANG and a flashing light. Managed to open the tray, which handed me my CD back in hundreds of shards. Many of them are still inside the drive - looks like I'm doing some DIY at some point.

*sigh*

Sounds like someone had a smashing time!

Wouldn't bother trying to rescue the drive to be honest, a new drive is only a tenner.

• Like 1

Have you tried defragmenting your disc? :d

• Like 2

You must be shattered. :d:oops:

• Like 2

This seems to be spinning out of control...

As it's a £50 DVD/CD writer, I'm going to attempt to fix it - it still spins with a blank disc, so I'll give it a go.

• Like 1

Is the question "what does it rev to" appropriate :d:p:d

Never more appropriate! 24,000 RPM! :cool:

Have you tried defragmenting your disc? :d

:t-up::d :d :t-up:

Billiant

As it's a £50 DVD/CD writer, I'm going to attempt to fix it - it still spins with a blank disc, so I'll give it a go.

Wowzers, what's so special about it to make it worth £50?

48x CD write, 22x DVD write, SATA interface for a tenner on Amazon. The risk of missing a small shard and spinning at that speed could damage more discs in the future.

Hmmmm...maybe, then.

Naaaahhhhh...I'm a bloke, need to take it to bits and have a look! :laugh:

Happened to me last year - apparently it's quite common - the small turntable bit was b*******ed but I managed to fix it by taking one out of an old drive I had lying around. Still working now.

Ha! Man triumphs over small inanimate object once again! Took the drive out (thank you Dell for clamshell tower cases and ancillaries on clip-in slides), disassembled it and removed dozens and dozens of shards, reassembled the lot and back working in less than 30 minutes - result. :cool::t-up: