Bonnet Catches Or Locks?

Andy Rob

What's the thoughts on this?

I have been supplied with the standard pull down bonnet catches for my FW kit, but was wondering whether to change.

I do like the look of the bonnet locks I see some have fitted, but do they have any draw backs?

My bonnet fits perfectly at the driver side, but the passenger side requires to be pushed down and held to give a good shut line. Obviously the catches would do this, but would the locks hold it down as well?

Only had my first Westfield for a little over a month now, and it has bonnet locks, not catches. When locking it, I have to push the bonnet edge down and hold in position while turning the key, and then the locks then hold it securely in place. I've been told by a couple of people that you have to be careful to make sure the locks engage properly, but they appear to be quite secure to me once locked in place so I'm very happy with locks.

I guess if others have more experience to advise from having used both, then they'll add their comments here too...

My bonnet locks clamp it down nicely. If you're still building the car though I'd wait until after the headlight brackets have been fitted. Since putting them on, the locks have gone from a nice slick closure to needing a bit of pressure on the bonnet.

I like the simplicity of catches, having locks just means another key to loose.

I swapped to locks and much prefer the look. They are (much) more work and much more potential to dangler things up.

I also agree with Dommo about getting everything else fitted first.

WF swapped my boot locks for a set of 4 so that 1 key fits all.

I used the modern rubber over center catches, you can fit them so theyre nice and tight as they flex a bit which stops rattles and movement

The locks look better in my opinion leaving a nice clean finish, give a bit of security and are not as clumsy looking as catches. Another issue with catches is some smart A*** can undo a catch when your car is parked, resulting in the bonnet flying off when you drive away. However the locks are a real time consuming pain in the ass to fit and can be a bit fiddly to lock when the bonnet has expanded in hot sunshine/engine heat.

Had bonnet locks for years without any issues.. then almost joined the low flying bonnet club a couple of times :oops:

so for peice of mind now have both fitted :t-up:

I've the WF supplied clamps on mine but looking at these: http://www.protex.com/product/show/name/270-600 as a safety/security upgrade. My headache is they're not an exact match with the original holes in the GRP - filling and redrilling seemingly the only solution :-/

Thanks guys - some great advice there!

Think I might go for the bonnet locks. Quite like Dougs idea of getting one key for all 4 locks.

Will give the factory a call tomorrow.

Cheers

Me and keys don't together, I just loose to many. Good job I have Keyless Toyota, and the wife doesn't trust me with a front door key, I have to use the Remote Garage door to get in my house.

• Like 1