Tracks Days -Hmmm...

Hammy

Bob,

No shock waves from me but....

I don't want to suggest scrutineers checks as that would reduce the availability.

may I ask why not have a rudimentary scrutiny? Not a full mechanical check but a quick look over the car to see if it seems maintained to a level suitable for driving fast around a track. An experienced mechanic should be able to ascertain this in about 2 minutes.

The last 3 word of the above quote are telling. "reduce the availability". Profit before safety?

The thread started off about the future based on the evidence of "bangers" being on track. The point being made was that if TD organisers allowed these cars on track would it be dangerous.

Not scrutineering isn't about profit over safety as such, it's more about liability. As an organiser I am not going to make any implication that your car is safe to use, for the sake of my insurance premiums I have to say that's your responsibility and yours alone.

If we do a 2 minute check and then the car has a failure the first thing that an injured driver (or worse still, a passenger) would try to say is that the organiser checked it over and said it was safe. If we are going to scrutineer it would have to be to a recognised standard (MSA presumably) which would mean a lot of cost, delays and probably 90% of current trackday cars being ineligible.

I guess it all comes down to money one way or another but extra regulation is really not what trackdays should be about when common sense and general monitoring on the day can sort most issues out.

I for one would be more than happy to take full responsibility for my vehicles integrity and as far as I would be concerned it would be as mechanically sound as I could practicably make it. I agree that a rudimentary check would be beneficial and some would suggest a waste of time but there are others who may I be so bold as to suggest don't really give a toss about pad life, tyre tread, seat belt security, oil/water leaks etc etc. They would be the ones who need to be reprogrammed, a track day isn't about blasting around a circuit at excessive speed in a car which is not safe to do so. But open for debate, it is about responsible folk taking there well maintained vehicles to speeds and performance levels way beyond those allowable on the public road. From what I have seen the spacing between cars does allow for individuals to test themselves without generally affecting others its only when the skill levels are overtaken by bravery aka that edge which can make a racing driver. I think the more expensive track days sort out some of the less responsible folk but not always. Its a vicious circle you want to drive quickly and avoid any damage to people or property and can only do your best can't you.

Steve, I fully understand about the scrutes position as a 2 minute look over isn't going to tell you everything and I'm sure some of the organisers are carrying out visual examinations of the cars as they go round or are in the pits. If my car broke 10 metres onto a first lap I certainly wouldn't blame a scrutineer for saying it was ok, I would have signed the waiver stating that I understand motor sport is dangerous and that I am responsible for my vehicle and to maintain a certain standard of driving and etiquette. I shouldn't really comment as I am not a driver just an avid spectator who has observed some issues which disturb me. Maybe I should just get the car on the track and dodge the debris.

I think this has been done to death now so will bow out. The rains stopped as well.

Bob :westy: