Go Pro - Noise Reduction

stickymint

Also the internal mic continues to record on HD2 even if you use external mic - so cover with tape or silicone it up if you want a permanent solution.

That's really good to know.

I thought that on occasion the wind noise on my HD2 was more than I expected, even though the mono external mic I use, is nicely shielded out of the way and pick ups exhaust and induction sound very nicely. I'll tape over it and see if it improves things even more.

Thanks.

Erm, mine doesn't, I have a single mono track on one channel from the Audia Technica I use, and nothing on the other stereo channel. I know, 'cause when I was having a play the other day with some editing software, I had to mix the single channel into a mono signal to play in both L and R sides of the mix.

How bad is it? We use a go-pro solid mounted to the rollcage and find it picks up all the engine/gearbox noise up through the vibration. I think it works quite well to be honest, also picks up the noise from the brakes, for example:

I'm guessing you must want the pucka engine bark!

Gadgetman, Is this on the HD1? If so, would you happen to have any links to information for doing this?

Dean, I've also got this link saved in my favourites to a thread on Blat Chat which you might find helpful :)

The connector you'll need for the bus port should be this one which is almost the same (but different) :d to the ipod connector

• Like 1

I have found using the open back reduced vibration noises and improved the frequency range picked up by the microphone. :)

Pete's video at Cadwell sounds OK?

Mark

Some sound fine others don't it's quite car dependant. Some pick up a slight rattle from the cameras own buttons, some don't, again it's quite camera dependant.

But even if you do have perfect audio pick up and no wind noise/car vibration issues the audio quality is still limited, simply because that's how the camera was designed; the original goal was for a personal "wearable" action camera for recording participation in extreme sports/activities. To that end, picture quality and the ability to capture the wearer as well as what was going on around them were the priorities. There wasn't actually much audio to record, other than the odd grunts and screams, I guess :laugh::oops: and most users were typically adding music backing tracks anyway.

As the cameras got more and more popular, because of the fantastic picture quality they can achieve for the money and ease of use, alongside their toughness, compared to conventional cameras, flexible mounting options etc. They've got used for more and more different subjects. Video wise, they work really, really well for our sort of uses. Sound wise, they're not in the same league as the picture quality, but can be made to work OK, it's just some people will find more work's needed to get acceptable results.

The amateurs, pro's and semi-pro's that use them and need guaranteed good quality audio use a separate sound recorder.

There's some useful info about the audio in connections on the HD Bus here:

http://goprouser.fre...o-t3676-10.html

There's more general info on using the bus in the other threads in that section of the (very useful) GoProUser forum.

Quite a long thread on general use of the HD bus here:

http://goprouser.fre...read-t3681.html

I know there's lots to wade through, but IIRC it gives details of suitable connectors and general pin outs for the bus etc.

Thanks for that Gadgetman. Certainly a lot of info there, but it will definitely be worthwhile doing the work on my HD1 as the picture quality is fantastic and deserves better audio to go along with it.

cheers

I'm using mine tomorrow at Croft, will let you know how I get on.