Boot Lid Options After Roll Bar

Young Pretender

I modified my locking boot box lid to work with the roll bar. The lid is sectioned into 3 pieces, with holes for the rear stays cut in the outer panels. It's a little fiddly cutting the holes in the right place and shape (requires an oval cut) bit it's worth the effort.

4705882_orig.jpg

Trimming the holes with rubber edging gives a finished appearances and keeps the rain out.

5247244_orig.jpg

-John

• Like 1

Neat job John; curious as to what's fitted to the cockpit side of the roll bar though :oops: Padding of some sort?

It's SFI padding, which is very dense and inflexible, but significantly safer for an unhelmeted head than generic roll bar padding. I had to section it to make the 90 deg bends in the main hoop, hence the odd shape seen from the rear. Coincidentally, yesterday in the post I received SFI padding that has been molded to fit a roll bar for a Miata (sorry, MX5), so I'm going to see if I can make that fit. It will certainly improve the aesthetics.

-John

Yeah, it's something you often see missed out on when cars go fully caged.

Had an interesting coffe break this morning leafing through the upgrades section of your 'site. I like the tunnel top mods, have often thought of tring similar myself, though probably keeping the top with more of a curve. I take it you did all the stitching etc on the vinyl yourself?

I bought an old sewing machine with metal gears at a garage sale for $25 and then surfed the Internet for tutorials to learn how to use it. Really wasn't that hard, although using black stitching on black vinyl certainly helps hide the imperfections. I certainly wouldn't have tried contrasting stitching at my skill level.

The upgrades section is actually a little out of date. The last few changes are still mired in the blog section.

-John

first pic is finished with lock fitted

second is rough cut and lay in place

although mines not a playskool bar you get the idea what it looks like

£18.32+vat

t19030.jpeg?rand=4661223719039.jpeg?rand=982073743