Boot Lid Options After Roll Bar

Young Pretender

I've just fitted my Plays-kool roll bar and I'm after a decent boot lid. I had a rather fatigued old bit of vinyl covered aluminium that was pinned down previously but I don't really fancy cutting holes for the rear diagonal struts - I think the car deserves better with this nice piece of kit on it now. I don't particularly want to take the bar off to fit a lid so I figure that I have the following options:

1. Some off the shelf option (not sure if there's anything out there? Not interested in a boot box. Car is a narrow)

2. Get a bit of black plastic / perspex and cut a two piece lid to slot in. Rubber trim.

3. Get 'Soft bits for Sevens' to make me something up. This is probably my favoured option. I think it'll look quite nice and I already have the poppers in the bodywork. Might be the most expensive though?

Have I missed any other options? Would be interested to see pics of what others have.

Anyway here she is at the moment.

IMG_1120.jpg?t=1338917449

IMG_1121.jpg?t=1338917562

I'll second that :westy: , or you could just do a sheet of black glassfibre to match your cycle wings .

Looking at the prices, a carbon sheet of the right size isn't as expensive as I thought.. and I guess there may be cheaper places than carbonmods. Hmm. 1mm thick do the job? Comes in at approx £60.

Have a look at www.aerodynamix.co.uk

May be cheaper than you thought ;) drop Julian a mail and see if he has any slightly imperfect sheets. Also have a look at the eBay thread below on carbon fiber :)

Looking at the prices, a carbon sheet of the right size isn't as expensive as I thought.. and I guess there may be cheaper places than carbonmods. Hmm. 1mm thick do the job? Comes in at approx £60.

You may find 1mm way too thin! Go for something around 4mm. Have a look at what Mark did to his before I bought it... http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/78118-westfield-seiw-2lt-dunnell-zetec/

As regards thickness you may want to consider how much a 1mm thick sheet would flex over the width of a boot panel , if you are to possibly to carry anything on the boot panel it would need reinforcing , a coremat centre panel would be far stronger .

Good work Bud..Carbon sounds good...

Dave

Carbon mods do a foam-cored carbon sheet that's specifically designed for boot covering. It's £120 so a bit more expensive than the one you mentioned, but at least you can be fairly sure that it's going to be sufficiently rigid for the space you're covering. Never had any of their products, but seen them on other westfields and they look nice!

http://www.carbonmod...CMBLPNL4MM.aspx

Edited to add: and if it was me, I'd definitely go to the extra effort and remove the bar, so you can get away with just cutting two small holes for the struts. Looks much neater IMO.

Thanks for all the input folks. Think I'm going to go for a one piece carbon fibre job and take the bar off to fit.

I wouldn't do that. You need to make sure you can take that carbon fibre sheet off easily if you need to get to rer brakes/suspension or diff!!!

Dan

Agree :) 3 piece would be good, as per green car above.

Playskool do carbon effect sheet in two thicknesses in the right size for a bootlid

I used the thicker (4mm) stuff for mine as ive heard the thinner one droops in the heat

Cost less than £20 and looks great

• Like 1

Top tip there, thanks Steve.

Have you got a pic per chance?