F1 Tyres

SteveD

Mostly the same arguments about F1 year after year.

On the specific tyre element I'm sure Pirelli originally wanted a 'tyre war' but nobody wanted to compete. Bridgestone vs Goodyear in the not too distant past wasn't always great. While I liked the strategic element of the fuel stops too I would bring either thing back.

Monaco is by its nature always going to be low on overtaking. The enjoyment of it comes from elsewhere. One for the fans I think.

im sort of with jenko on this one. F1 is generally interesting, the racing has been very entertaining, and yes the structure with tyres is a little staged, but it does add intrigue and variability. The exception to this is Monaco. Its pretty much always a boring race - the order is pretty much set by the first corner and it is a procession after that, there is very little that can be done strategy wise.

I quite like Monaco for sorting the wheat from the chaff. These airfields in the middle of the desert with huge runoff areas let poorer drivers get away with too much. At Monaco, one mistake = early shower, there's no room for error. Bit of a boring one this weekend, glad I was out burning myself to a crisp in front of the BBQ during the race and caught the highlights later.

It's not really tyres or fuel, they can do what they want and it doesnt really affect the racing. It's the reliance on such finely designed aero packages that get upset if someone in the crowd sneezes. Remove all those twiddly wings, allow two flat plates on the front wing and two at the back, test it by specifying downforce they currently have at 100 and 200mph in a wind tunnel. More mechanical grip, less downforce = more wheel to wheel racing.

Then Button would have got past the Flintstones go-kart he was following for most of the race. He spun and caught up within 2 laps. With a speed differential like that plus DRS he should have been easily past to get on with his race but with so much aero he can't follow close enough to make a move stick.

Good idea for sprints. Do 2 laps but come into paddock at end of lap 1 and on your own change all 4 wheels before completing 2nd lap :cry::no:

Not just F1

I beleive that tyre wear is a problem for MotoGP as well or whatever race class using soft race rubber , unless its a sprint race they can't go flatout for the duration without burning away the rubber in a couple or 3 laps :t-up:

Monaco is notorious for no overtaking , supposedly good for spectating , you can get closer to the action than any other track

Plus the sound reverberating off the buildings is something else :cool:

Not to be missed if your an F1 fan :t-up: