Upgradeitus- Indicators And Wind Deflectors

Doug Dastardly

Morning All,

Following IVA pass I'm planning my first upgrades :d

First up I'm planning to swap the indicators for flush fitting blade types.

Does anyone know if the mounting bolts on the CBS ones match the holes I've drilled for the standard ones?

These ones

I'd prefer bolt on to stick on, if I can find some with the right spaceing of bolts.

Also planning some wind deflectors, but due to geography can't see any other cars with any fitted. So I was wondering if anyone has a comparison between the westfield ones and the ebay ones with two bends? Pro's and con's of both? Does one fit / work better than the other?

Thanks all,

Doug

Although not wonderful to look at deflectors make driving comfort so much better.

Might be a pic on my www , bought these about 6 years ago. Mine are pretty huge but work very well.

If doing it again I'd just risk the best looking reasonable price route .... I don't suppose any were developed in a wind tunnel !

These are mine and although they are the only ones I have experienced I do think they work well though not as good as doors! Don't like the closed in feeling or the getting in and out problems that doors give you.

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

Alex, they're the same type of wind deflectors that I've just got (and very pleased at how effective they are). Do yours move on the hinges, or have you done something to 'fix' them in place? If so, what did you do (e.g. replace hung pin with a bolt, or something else). Finally, what do you have at the base of them to protect the bodywork?

Thanks, Dave

They have a silicon edging strip along the bottom but they still move around and so have scratched the body work a bit but it will polish out. Probably should fix them to car some way, velcro and bit of angled plastic stuck on the bottom would do.

Alex, they're the same type of wind deflectors that I've just got (and very pleased at how effective they are). Do yours move on the hinges, or have you done something to 'fix' them in place? If so, what did you do (e.g. replace hung pin with a bolt, or something else). Finally, what do you have at the base of them to protect the bodywork?

Thanks, Dave

I was sitting in the sun and your post gave me a thought!

I just went and made 2 bits of aluminium angle and stuck them onto the car, velcro to the car, double sided tape to the deflectors. At least they can't move now, not sure it looks pretty though ???

DSC02336.jpg

I "deliberately" misaligned the hinge drill holes so I'd have to beat the pins in from the top. They don't move at all! :d:suspect:

Thanks Alex, but not sure about the look, and possibly even more 'obvious' on a chrome yellow car ??? I've ordered some clear self-adhesive 'feet' from eBay that I was going to stick onto the body for the bottom edge to rest against (see here).

Also, in my previous post 'hung pin' should have said 'hinge pin' (mistype and iPhone auto-correct) :blush: ... have you fixed yours in some way to stop them moving forwards when you brake?... my car has very small wing mirrors, so they don't stop them, so I'm thinking about replacing a hinge pin on each with a bolt (once I've bought some of the right size). Have you had to do anything with yours to resolve this, or is it not a problem with yours?

I "deliberately" misaligned the hinge drill holes so I'd have to beat the pins in from the top. They don't move at all! :d:suspect:

Good idea :yes: ... I didn't think of doing that and took great care to have them aligned straight, so they now move quite freely :( I've temporarily used a little tape to try to stop them, but that's not ideal (or particularly successful).

Nice car Alex, are your deflectors the ebay ones from steve molyneaux(?) in kenilworth?

Also it's reminded me I need to fit mudflaps to the front wings too, what are your's made from?

Thanks,

Doug

They still move around and vibrate, the faster you go the more they push into the car but they are too tight to swing freely.

I think my new mod will be a success! Not pretty though, black double sided tape would be less noticeable or glue.

Nice car Alex, are your deflectors the ebay ones from steve molyneaux(?) in kenilworth?

Also it's reminded me I need to fit mudflaps to the front wings too, what are your's made from?

Thanks,

Doug

They where on the car when I bought it so I don't know where they are from.

The mudflaps are just black polyurethane sheet attached with black plastic screws, like rally car mudflaps.

Doug the indicators will fit ok in the existing holes, I have just fitted some on mine

Thanks Gary,

You must be the only westie owner more frustrated than me during the heatwave!

Doug

Thanks Gary,

You must be the only westie owner more frustrated than me during the heatwave!

Doug

All part of ownership Doug as they say!!

It was bl**** hot yesterday taking the head off!

Hopefully it will be back together again before the jubilee weekend