Successful Donington

Chris Elworthy

From Garry and myself, thanks to everyone who came along to the WSCC area at Donington yesterday and today.

On Saturday we had 48 cars in the area, and 80 today. We have been promised a bigger, and better segregated area for next year based on our enthusiastic turn-out this.

Thanks also to Northampton Motorsport and Plays-Kool for their support and advice offered to all and sundry. It was also nice to see the Westfield crew come out and see us from time to time.

The Concours d'interesting was won by:

Saturday: Mike Dixon (SEi Pinto) from Cheshire for his stunning colour scheme and attention to detail.

Sunday: Chris Russon (SEiGHT) from Warwickshire for quality of build and being understated for the sort of performance it is capable of.

I know that the Donington show is not a Stoneleigh and so on, and that a few people squirm at the thought of parting with a few squids, but this weekend was a great (and rare) opportunity for Westfield owners, builders and thinking abouters to get together on a national basis without the distraction of competition at the same time.

I personally made many new friends this weekend (not sure if the feeling is mutual ?) and from this point of view alone I felt it worthwhile.

From a promotional point of view, we gave out numerous Club info, membership & merchandise forms (including to Belgian, German & Italian visitors) so that also must be good for the club.

I realise (from previous thread) that not all share my enthusiasm for this event, but please bear in mind the statement in the Website intro, "WSCC is run for members, by members". I need say no more. (but probably will !;)

See you at Sunny Exeter ????

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun

• Chris Elworthy

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

• Paul Helsby

Big Thanks to Chris and Garry for manning the WSCC Stand.  :D  :)  :D  :p

Whatever folks think about "the show" - it's the humour / social and general club stuff that really matters.

Its two long days for you guys and hopefully you got the support you deserve.  :D  :)  Thanks.

Could'nt agree more. The WSCC turn out on saturday was excellent (Sunday must have been the dogs doodahs).  And the WSCC people there were friendly and willing to talk to anyone.  But, as a whole the show was a let down.

One thing I have noticed though, why does everyone elses car look better than mine? Does this make me a pessimist?

???

I thought it was OK on the Sunday. Not Stoneleight but still good.

Things that were good:

1. Not too busy :)

2. Lots of Westy owners to talk to :)

Things that were bad:

1. Signposting to event. Went to Sunday Market and normal race entrance before I found the proper entrance. Judging by the amount of cars I saw and the ones following me, I wasn't the only one.

2. WSCC stand tucked away at far end of car park. This was actually good when you got there cause it was right next to building, but meant having to drive through the common people to get there  :D  :D

3. Was there anywhere to put your helmet if you were driving a couple of sessions ? I didn't fancy leaving it in the open top car, or having to carry it around all day.

4. Could be more bits&pieces stands, but all the important guys were there (Woolies etc.) Would have been nice to have seen the likes CAT Motorsport etc. there (or did I just miss them ?)

I think next year it would be a great idea to get as many people camping over on the Saturday night as possible for a bit of a BBQ, and then onto the track on Sunday. If we could get an area on the grass we'd be able to put some more signs up (as well as a beer tent) :D

All in all an enjoyable day, topped off by seeing the jet powered dragtsers on the M1 on the way home (on the back of a trailer of course !;)

Was my first show and i thought it went with a bang  ;)

Had the chance to see some top westys, and to mooch around other stalls/cars and i now know that westfield was the right choice :)

Me and trev look forward to the next show

Thanx Paul for the bracket, must say your car looks like the safest place to be in the event of,  well… pretty much anything mate J

Nev next time bring your lid

:cool:

I'll add my thanks to Garry and Chris (and Micky) for putting up with me on Saturday.

And a good show for the WSCC too, well done.

Superb day out  :D

Enjoyed speaking to everyone.

Track day access a bonus over Stoneleigh.

Good to see the different manufacturers on track.....

......even though some were noddy like.

Agree with SEight about access.  Organisers need more signposts and need to cheer up a little.  

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Excellent day out

Well done Chris and Garry  :D  :D  :D  :D

The shows what you make it, i found it a very sociable occasion, i was able to put some faces to names that appear here regularly, but Chris you dont look at all like your photo, its a good job Blatman was there to point you out.

Well done to the Northants and Derby guys for their efforts

And of course the 100 mile blat from Manchester through the peak district puts the icing on the cake

See you at Sunny Exeter ????

Chris

Well done - I didn't have the pleasure of visiting but by all accounts hereabouts you done a good job!!

Re. Exeter - can you tell me more?

Cheers

Well done on the organisation (and gearbox sitting front  :D while I went for a play on the track :t-up: )

Just in case anyone wondered what the large paper mache lump was that was sat at the back of the stand late on on Sunday - it was a mock up of a gearbox that I was trying in various chassis  :blush:  :blush: .  

Was it just me - or were the people on the Westfield stand just not interested unless you wanted to slap a wad of cash down and say "I'll take one of those in red!"  :angry: . I tried to talk to one of their guys about the possibilities of modifying a chassis to fit my (paper mache) gearbox - and all I got was an attitude of "if you want to do that - then you're on your own" - no help what so ever! This is after having a good chat with Chris Smith at Stoneleigh about the installation I was planning and it sounding like it may actually be of some interest to Westfield. I eventually got a name out the person on the stand to call at the factory - so I'll talk to them and see if they are more helpfull - otherwise I may end up with a Lococst next year - as the people on the MK stand were VERY! (Westfield take a lesson in customer focus! ) helpfull and appear to have a very competent product.

Steve

Re. Exeter - can you tell me more?

a) Exeter sounds like a cold journey at that time of year - should sort the men from the boys. (Mrs Westy - anything to add)

b) West Country type WSCC folk : Please enlighten us about the Exeter Kit Car Show.

Catflap,  what's the score on your engine then?  Is it definitely Knackered?  

Hope you got back home to wales safe & sound?  

Jeorney back to Reading was pretty cool, drove back following (or should I just say trying to keep up) with Mark Snow's Seight!  GOD That thing goes!

Next time I'm bringing a BBQ and and a crash helmet!

Cheers,

nev :durr:

Had a cracking day, although didnt get chance to talk to many people as i had my head stuck inside my helmet for most of the day, ooh er!

Cant wait till the next event!