Desert Storm

Northampton Motorsport

It would perhaps be nice to have a proper weight breakdown, front and rear and total weight.

Only a random guess, but 568klgs + with fluids.

You must have weighed it Troy. ;)

We did Mick but James did the chassis set up and i cant remember the exact figures, I think it was over 500 but not as high as 568. I can check when i am back at work next week.

The engine's not that heavy. If I remember correctly it has 2 Hyabusa heads and an Ali block.

Yamaha based I think, reported elsewhere to weigh only 74kg so bit surprised by overall weight, not that you would want it lighter!

Maybe a Yammie, I can't remember. I do remember that he took two bike heads and built a V8 block for them to sit on. The cam belt can drive the blower, if fitted, which sits in the well of the V. Good thinking.

I would have been involved in the new V6 had not Richard (RiF) died. One has gone in the new chassis. I'm not sure what's happening with that, I think Mrs RiF wants to sell it. The engine was about a year late and it was getting nasty. But it turned up eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the fuelling compensation - is this basically because the Warmer fuel has a lower viscosity so you get more flow through an injector for a given pressure ?

:) :) nice.

Re the fuelling compensation - is this basically because the Warmer fuel has a lower viscosity so you get more flow through an injector for a given pressure ?

The hot fuel is less dense and more aerated leading to a leaner AFR. Lots of modern cars run fuel coolers as standard these days. Its not usually a major problem here but with this car being used in such varying conditions it did make me think that some form of compensation within the ecu would be usefull.

having said that last year we dyno'd a duratec for another customer in Dubai, he had experienced problems with local workshops who had tried to fit a ported head and cams to his caterham engine and ended up bending a bunch of valves. So he sent the engine complete with exhaust, ecu, drysump tank etc back here to Simon at UP and he rebuilt the engine. We then installed it in my Wesfield, ran it in, mapped it and then shipped it back to dubai. when I last talked to the owner he said it was going great.

While you wrote that lot I've been googling orifice plates critical flow and so on - looks a bit hard to know what's going on ! As an Amateur guesser and part time talker of b*******I'd of thought density change was small ?? ( you prob know better - with youre injector test rig etc ) so hard I'd imagine to predict a temp/fueling curve !

All good stuff tho And an interesting problem

Anyhow great video/ car and some nice tidy work you've done on it .

While you wrote that lot I've been googling orifice plates critical flow and so on - looks a bit hard to know what's going on ! As an Amateur guesser and part time talker of b*******I'd of thought density change was small ?? ( you prob know better - with youre injector test rig etc ) so hard I'd imagine to predict a temp/fueling curve !

All good stuff tho And an interesting problem

Anyhow great video/ car and some nice tidy work you've done on it .

Thank you, it's certainly been a challenge.