Comprehensive Or Incomprehesible?

housebuilder

Paul

complete radio silence other than when I contacted Julian to make sure Jason wasn't being 'scapegoated' for this ongoing debarcle.

both of them assured me that was not he case. I can't help thinking things will only be worse without him though

what are you waiting for?

Andrew

The vital bit for now is the steering column and I know I am not alone, some have windscreens but I don't but that could wait for now. I didn't really ought to moan, my friend still does not have an engine, mind you it is only seven months since he ordered !

• 2 weeks later...

Contacted the Factory today. I keep getting told that the steering column is imminent but no news on a delivery date.

I really don't know how hard it can be to source such a part. Six months since ordering should be enough surely?

I'm waiting on the lower steering column on my mx5 build. told 7-10 days when I picked up in May. it's the zetec lower column so quessing same as what you're waiting on.

An update, my friend still does not have his engine and gearbox must be some sort of record from January ! Steering columns are like unicorn horn. Another builder has been told he would be loaned a steering column to get him through IVA but would then have to return it to the factory. You couldn't make this stuff up LOL.

on the upside we have a promised delivery date on pretty much everything except the steering column. I really wanted to try and drop the engine in at the weekend but I am conscious that the column mounting bracket needs drilling / fixing. Is this possible with the engine in and has anyone done it in this order?

thanks as always

I fitted my entire steering column after the engine was in - so yes it can be done

Hell must have frozen over, my friend who picked his kit up on the 20th April with me has received his engine and gearbox this morning ! off out for a celebratory diet coke this lunchtime !

It does sound like they're being 'stitched up' by suppliers some what. When I built my SDV over the last 12 months the only problems I had were missing items rather than out of stock. Always sent out the same day I contacted them.

Steering column, exhaust, harnesses and windscreen were all in stock. I hope they didn't change supplier because they were s**t :d

edit: Not sticking up for an inability to manage suppliers of course. That comes from higher up.

Paul

Take it easy on the coke!

you will need all your faculties when that steering column turns up!!

This month? this year?

Who knows?

perhaps we could all share one and take it in turns to drive our cars!

Austin Allegro's are rare beasts now :oops: it's not supprising Westfield are having trouble finding new steering columns for them :d I'm quite suprised they haven't switched to the shorter mini column which is much more easily available and then lengthened the lower column.

Sounds like a sensible plan.

Had you thought about Joining the Company (please)!!!

:d I doubt they can afford me :d but my consultancy fees are quite resonable :p

Paul

Take it easy on the coke!

you will need all your faculties when that steering column turns up!!

This month? this year?

Who knows?

perhaps we could all share one and take it in turns to drive our cars!

Thats more or less what they suggested to Jon !!! lol

News is (from a 'senior source' at Westfield!)

Steering columns will be despatched end of this week (first phase which I doubt I am part of!) with the rest to follow in a fortnight.

Watch this space....................