Anyone In The Building Game?

Dave the Sparky

I'm not a builder but did manage a renovation of a large Victorian house for a friend.

The practice I can't understand is the way builders buy all the materials, employ the labour, spend their own time and then, having finished the job have problems getting paid. Why can't the builder agree to weekly payments?

My computer business charges the customers by direct debit 3 months in advance.

When I was in the motor trade we kept the car until the invoice was paid in full (other than account customers who had been vetted)

So, why do builders always seem to have problems getting paid?

Norman

Its because your customers use and want something now and in the future ie their computer needs fixing or upgrading.

Or they wanted their car back and were not going to get it until they paid up.

Whereas the builder completes the job and the customer just says i'm not paying, eff off or i'll call the old bill.

It is illegal i believe for me to remove my materials from such a job without going to court and and paying out to solicitors.

It just depends on who has who by the short and curlies.

I would imagine that a lot of punters allow things to go over budget on these projects and so whoever is last in the line is likely to be the loser :( .

Once again, stage payments!

Keep at it fella's its got to get better sometime

Maybe it may get easier but the high prices may not return for a while, if ever. My theory is that the UK was paying itself more than it could afford. With wages on hold whilst costs rise nearly everyone is taking pay cuts and, after a few years these will be substantial. The knock on effect is that the #20,000 kitchen is no longer affordable. Cheaper options come to the front whilst the high end reduce prices to survive.

Can you not, on completion, get a satisfaction note signed by the customer. If they then refuse to pay they will find it difficult to claim the job wasn't to their satisfaction. You can claim money in the county court without paying a solicitor.

If you're on solid ground the only cost will be your time and it will probably take less than 8 hours in total.However, be aware that getting judgment doesn't mean you get your money. Most will pay but some will ignore it. Just get bailiff to exercise the judgement, only requires a form filled in and the cost which is added to the debt. In my experience (chasing unpaid car hire bills) you will win 9 out of 10.

The busiest man is the one working for nothing.

It gets around if you don't get paid and just walk away.

We did install a lot of floor coverings for new build comercical buildings and I have to say we haven't done any of that work for the last year and at the moment refurbs and repair work are keeping us going! The only firms picking up the big stuff are going in so low that should they hit a problem its the end for them, I really can't understand people cutting up their own industry, it's just crazy.

I was a mere trainee during the last "down turn" and remember the boss explaining to me that things go round in cycles and that the only thing to do in times like this is to stick to your prices, concentrate on repair work and then when it turns around the customers you have been doing the repairs for should trust you for the refurb contract, the only people who profit in times like this are the rich who force the total build cost down by playing on the desperation of people in the building trade. And with regard strugling to get paid I learnt recently that the no nonsence aproach works, I factor in debt recovery to all new customer quotes and what we'll do are in my terms and if they are late and don't offer a good excuse the recovery firm are instructed, I can't afford customers like that during times like this.

But basicly apart from sucking up to clients more things are just a little more short notice and you are just expected to ask how high when asked to jump! Which is very hard for me ;-)

My wages have dropped by over 25% in the last couple of years, whilst material costs have gone through the roof plus my overheads fuel etc.

In my experience of my trade these prices do not come down, only my wages do, and my costs are now at rock bottom. If it continues it wont be worth carrying on and i will cease to trade. Whilst this would increase someone elses trade at the time it does the industry no good at all.

I just think its sad that there is no honour anymore, i would not employ anyones services if i did not have the money to pay them.

• Like 1