First Turn Of The Key!

Welly Jen

At 7:15 this evening I turned the key and the engine started first time! Big step forward in the conversion of Mr Toad to throttle body fuel injection. Jenvey throttle bodies, driven by a Microsquirt ECU. I'd finally got the firmware updated to the latest version, set up the sensors and throttle pot, entered and double checked all the parameters. Was going to leave trying to start till tomorrow, but couldn't see a reason not to twist the key one more click. It idles at just over 1000rpm cold and not too lumpy. Air fuel ratio looks good. Shut it down after a few minutes. Not bad seeing that I set the throttle opening and balance by eye, looking down the inlets at the butterflies. I'll connect the manometer too it tomorrow and balance it properly.

The throttle pedal is much heavier than when it was on carbs with the extra springs on the bodies. It uses the same linkage.

Lots of work still to go, but a major milestone met. This is the hardest car thing I've done, so I'm well pleased.

Super happy Jenny :d :d :d

Well done, sounds like you thought it through and took extreme care.

Agggghhh , just looked it up

something for shoving up yer orifice apparently :arse:

well done .

What's a manometer ?

It's a scale of how butch you are :d

Agggghhh , just looked it up

something for shoving up yer orifice apparently :arse:

One of these http://www.carbtune.com. Sorry to disappoint!

Jen

Excellent stuff this , need some pics tho ;)

Hi Hammy,

Happy to oblige.

The install with the air filter cover off. The air temperature sensor isn't fitted yet as I hadn't found an M14 x 1.5 nut to hold it to the filter backplate, hence the extra hole. Fortunately there is an excellent bolt stockist nearby who had just the thing. The swirl pot was originally going to go at the back of the car, but was too large, so is now fitted to the passenger footwell. The high pressure fuel pump is underneath. The original weber twin cable linkage is used with a home made bracket. The inlet manifold is the same one as was used with the carbs. Injectors are refurbished 250cc/minute ones. They are slightly shorter than normal, so the spacers to fit them had to be shortened to suit.

mrtoad-airfilter1.JPG

As above, but with the air filter in place. The bonnet will need the hole opening out as the filter is taller than the old K&N's.

mrtoad-airfilter2.JPG

Spaghetti! The electronics under the dash with the panel hinged down. Some how I can never make wiring look neat. Most of the mess is unused wires that are terminated with heat shrink sleeve and coiled up out of the way. The microsquirt is hidden under the Ford EDIS ignition module. Assorted fuses, relays and power and ground connecting blocks.

mrtoad-microsquirt1.JPG

Jenny

I didn't know you could fit injection to a Pinto, well I know now and it is a big mod, well done.

Is WellyJen a young lady?

It's a scale of how butch you are :d

I think its something to measure the power of your farts? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't know you could fit injection to a Pinto, well I know now and it is a big mod, well done.

Is WellyJen a young lady?

Not so young. :down:

• Like 1

It's worth knowing, any engine can be fitted with fuel injection, it's much easier installation wise if you can get get a manifold for twin Weber DCOE carbs though, as then a pair of Jenvey TB style throttle bodies will bolt straight on.

If there's no Weber manifold, or you want to do things on a budget and use bike throttle bodies, then you either need to make your own inlet manifold, or get one made by someone like Bogg Brothers.

After that it's "just" a question of plumbing and wiring! (Understatement of the year, but you see what I mean!)

The hardest part really is getting enough of a "map" onto whatever make of ecu you've used to actually start the engine and map it. It's one of those chicken and egg situations.

It's great to see someone putting the time and effort into a more unusual injected engine combination though, specially when it's one of the classic kit car engines; people right them off in their heads far too easily, when they can be made to work really well in a Westfield.

• Like 1

Hi Jenny

Well done so far and facinated to see how things finally turn out.

Out of interest, is the throttle cable routing the same as you had when running the carbs?

Just wondered if the shorter route, as opposed to going towards the front of the engine bay then a big loop back to the pedal down the exhaust side presented any issues with the operation of the cable? (most likely not, though, as you may have changed it by now!)

Well done......It's a great feeling whenthey fire up......I did the megasquirt thing some time ago, and remember the day she jumped into life...If I recall, it was followedby a few beers :-)

Hi Jenny

Well done so far and facinated to see how things finally turn out.

Out of interest, is the throttle cable routing the same as you had when running the carbs?

Just wondered if the shorter route, as opposed to going towards the front of the engine bay then a big loop back to the pedal down the exhaust side presented any issues with the operation of the cable? (most likely not, though, as you may have changed it by now!)

The routing of the cable is exactly the same as when it was on carbs. From the photo's in the cars build file it was done this way when the car was first built 15 years and about 25,000 miles ago by the original builder. No problems with the operation up till now. It always opened and closed cleanly. The route is a gentle S curve from the pedal box. Top mounted pedals though. It would be more convoluted with floor mounted ones.

Jen