Smoking Zetec

Healden

I bought a factory built SE Sports with a 2L Zetec, a few weeks ago. I have to say first that having been a motor enthusiast for a long time its the best purchase I have ever made.

However, I am not sure if I have a problem and would appreciate any advice. Firstly there is a small issue in that for the first couple of minutes whilst the initial "mapping" is in control (before it settles down) there is little to no power. In the old days I would have said there was too much choke on but with these modern engines, I have no idea if this is normal.

The most concerning thing however is that if I go past 60 in fifth it starts to blow out smoke for fun. I am still running her in. Only 200 miles on the clock and has, (I was told) running in oil in. Is this normal, due to the oil or should I get help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome...

What colour smoke? Black would be fuel, blue is oil and white is steam.

If you've done some decent miles and put the engine through good laod cycles, I'd say change the oil and go for it. 200 miles is plenty...

Who wrote the map?

Is it on carbs or injection?

Check the oil level...

Don't drive it, register the fault with Westfield follow their advice, if you tinker too much they might blame you...

Doesn't sound normal at all mine has the same power/pull whether it's hot or cold

When I changed my "running in oil" it had a green tinge to it ? Duck hams hyper grade of old ?

Mines on throttle bodies fwiw...

My car has also some issues and requires returning to the factory...

Bob

Missed (didn't take any notice of... :blush:) the factory built bit.

If it's new from the factory and you're the first owner and it's still under warranty, take it back.

If it's factory built but is out of warranty, then we need more info.

Hello Blatman

Thanks for the welcome. She is running on carbs and just to be awkward the colour is greyish.

Grey-ish could be steam but it could equally be fuel.

As above, what is the warranty situation?

I have some more questions to ask but if it's a newly built factory car then some of the questions will look pretty stupid! If it's a factory built car but you bought it from the previous owner then the questions may be more relevant depending on what you can tell us about the car and any history you have...

Hi Bob

Thanks for your advice, makes a to of sense. I did check the oil two weeks ago and the oil pressure is ok. You did jog my memory however in that I once had a similar problem with a car where the garage had put too much oil in. I will check the oil level again.

Blatman

Yes its still under warranty.

Gents - I will contact Westfield on Monday.

Thanks very much for your help.

:t-up:

Overfilling... where does the sump vent to? If it vents back in to the inlet manifold or rocker cover area then it may well blow blue smoke as the oil is burnt via the engine. If the sump vents to a catch tank then you should find oil in there and *probably* no smoke.

Grey-ish could be steam but it could equally be fuel.

As above, what is the warranty situation?

I have some more questions to ask but if it's a newly built factory car then some of the questions will look pretty stupid! If it's a factory built car but you bought it from the previous owner then the questions may be more relevant depending on what you can tell us about the car and any history you have...

It is straight from the factory.

:t-up:

Overfilling... where does the sump vent to? If it vents back in to the inlet manifold or rocker cover area then it may well blow blue smoke as the oil is burnt via the engine. If the sump vents to a catch tank then you should find oil in there and *probably* no smoke.

I am afraid that has gone over my head. Al I can recall is I recall having a problem like this just after a car had been serviced. In that case I could here tapping from the engine as the smoke emitted. In the Westie however I can't here a damn thing at 60. Thats miles an hour not age. :d

Ear plugs... I always wear 'em in the Westfield. Makes a massive difference to journey comfort.

I use plugs made by these guys. They have a small hole through the middle with a filter so you can still hear, but much of the distracting wind noise is removed. I wear them every day on the bike when I commute to work too. I swear by them...

Ear plugs... I always wear 'em in the Westfield. Makes a massive difference to journey comfort.

I use plugs made by these guys. They have a small hole through the middle with a filter so you can still hear, but much of the distracting wind noise is removed. I wear them every day on the bike when I commute to work too. I swear by them...

:laugh: senior moment from Blatters, hoping to move it before anyone notices by any chance ;)

:p

:d :d

Er... I was responding to

In the Westie however I can't here a damn thing at 60. Thats miles an hour not age. :d

... though that may not be obvious... :blush:

Thanks for your help. I have learnt a lot on this first post especially to watch out for how predictive text can make you look a little silly.

The spell checker on an iPad is even worse than ordinary predictive text! But when your spelling is as poor as mine, I daren't turn it off. :laugh:

• Like 1