SantaPod

DavidBirchZEI220

David has a 330HP Cossie Turbo and that is the highest trap speed I've seen for a road legal Westfield.  It is also faster than a c******m R500!  The 60ft time is very poor though.  Decent tyres and a 1.9 or 2.0 second 60ft time would probably see something like 11.9/121mph.

Ian

I'm considering buying a couple of slicks just for this event, but I'm not sure how effective they will be without real "warming up".

Get the supersoft 'Hillclimb/Sprint' compound which are designed not to need warming up - I have some on my recently acquired bike-engined single seater and you can almost roll the tread off between your fingers at 75 degrees F  ;)  :cool:

And if money's no object, you could always fit Racelogic Launch & Traction control which senses wheelspin and cuts fuel injectors and /or sparks - it's programmable between "no wheelspin" for wet conditions and 20% slip.

Out of interest, at hillclimbs in my roadgoing Westfield I normally get first 64ft times (not 60ft as at dragstrips) of around 2.3 - 2.4 on Bridgestone RE720 185/60 x 13 tyres with 'only' about 170bhp 1800 Zetec power.

The single seater has 161bhp at the wheels in a 300kg car (and has Racelogic Launch control) and has posted first 64ft times around 1.6-1.7secs  :0  :D

Cat

It's an ex factory built ZEI 220 with a few mods.  Very similar spec to the car John Felstead used to track (stage 3, Harvey Gibbs Pectel board, 1.5 - 1.6 bar boost etc)  I have also gone down the charge cooler route with an own design that I had built by PACE.  The real problem is keeping charge temperatures low in a small engine bay with minimal airflow.  Particularly on an event like SantaPod where you park up hot and have no airflow.  Last time I ran I had charge temps of about 55'C now it's mid 30's.  On my car that's probably worth an extra 50bhp.

My real problem is grip at SantaPod.  I have very hard original Avons that have done 13000 miles and just look polished.

I have an AP22 performance meter and can't get under 5.7 to 60 whereas on the road I can get 4.7.

I attended with a friend who has a supercharged mustang.  He went from 13's to low 12's with slicks but i would prefer to stay road legal.

I'm tempted to buy some new tyres but I'll be selling the car soon to make space for my XTR build - I want something quicker and more extreme .

For comparison the quickest other normal road car I saw was a GT2 porsche (£120k and 457bhp) that ran 12.28 @ 117.  Traction control seemed to be working hard off the line.

For the other Westy owner's that attended I have some video footage with a side by side blue / yellow car run.  If you mail me your address I'll put a CD in the post.

Regards

David :durr::D