Cracked My Sump - Again

Telomerase

Advice please -

For the second time this year I have cracked the sump on my Pinto - off to get it welded tommorow. :cry:

How can I stop this? Increase ride hight? Stiffen up the Avos? I was even thinking of an F1 style sacrificial plywood sump gard.

It is not the potholes, both time I have bottomed out coming out of a fast dip in the road at near the NSL.

At a few hundered quid a time + oil I need to find a solution.

Welding up should be cheap not hundreds

What ride height are you running?

What clicks on shocks?

You could look at fitting skid plate to bottom

local garage needs to get an ali welder in - 2hrs labour + oil + fliter = £200

I will get my measuring stick out - where do you take the height from (bottom wishbone?)

5 clicks on shocks

any advice on mounting points for a skid plate?

• Like 1

Surely if you have damaged your sump twice in 4 months, there is an issue with your ride height (clearance between sump and road) or you have a particular penchant for speed humps that particular stretch of road.

Is you sump a standard one or shallow ? If it’s standard, it may be worth investing in a shallow sump. Otherwise your ride height needs to be increased.

For info, I have a shallow sump on my Pinto and it’s remained intact for 5+ years.

Thanks for all the help. westie owners are the nicest folk on the web.

OK I am way too low, 110mm to the underside of the chassis as per the above schematic. I think that it was set up by a previous owner to make the lower wishbones horizontal ( is the a good reason for that?)

So, my plan is fix sump, wrack up the height on the Avos, anything else I need to adjust?

Edited by Telomerase

@langy, yes it is a shallow sump, is seems to be a modified cortina sump with sticky out bits to matain the oil capacity.

You'll have to redo the wheel alignment and camber unfortunately.

Matt

If it's any help, Northampton Motorsport set my Avos on 9-10 clicks (although they are a bit old).

local garage needs to get an ali welder in - 2hrs labour + oil + fliter = £200

I will get my measuring stick out - where do you take the height from (bottom wishbone?)

5 clicks on shocks

any advice on mounting points for a skid plate?

180 quid to weld up a sump! Pirates ahoy!!

Where ate you based? Can you not find a local company who will only charge you 40-50 quid tops!!!