Sucking Up After Stoneleigh .. Places To Stay In Lakes

Rab (bombero) Reid

After breaking the news to SWMBO that I'm off to Stoneleigh this weekend (if her face was a weather, it'd be thunder) as it coincides with the start of our work break, I'm needing to replen my brownie points!

I'm looking for suggestions as to a nice place to stay in the Lake District. Not planning on doing any walking (hills no, but to pub, yes!) so it doesn't have to be too remote. Would like to be able to walk into the village/town and do a little cafe culture and some short drives, but that's about it. Yet to convince SWMBO that this could be done in the westy but it'll more than likely be in the tintop.

Any ideas .. ?

I can recommend the Punch Bowl. Superb food and very nice accomadation, and the beer is not bad either. That should placate her !!

http://www.the-punchbowl.co.uk/

Depends what you're after. For self catering with fabulous views we've been here a few times. If desperate, takeaways in Keswick (2.5 miles away) deliver free. A few local pubs, (not within our walking range) but if weather typical, need to take car.

http://www.cumbrian-...ll/availability

Doesn't meet all the requirements as there's no village nearby but look at Wasdale Head Inn.

Remote at the head of Wass water, we used to stay there every year. Good food and excellent beer (and lots of variety). Fantastic scenery at the foot of Sca Fell Pike, the highest mountain in England.

However we haven't been for about 8 years now so it may have changed.

Their web site

This is great guys, thanks. Yeah, it's hotel living for SWMBO! Nowt too posh, but she likes her comforts. I guess as long as it's clean and does decent food. :)

You're probably going to be staying in a lake at Stoneleigh at this rate! :)

You ain't kidding! Those taking their westys will need to plug the holes in their floors and take a baler! :p

The Sun Inn ( where Cambell stayed) or the Black Bull in Coniston,

Brittania Inn at Elterwater or the Drunken Duck near Hawkshead

Brilliant guys, thanks again .. .. SWMBO has just delivered more tasks and that is to look at hotels in York as a secondary possibility! :bangshead: This must be a test of my resolve as I agree (through gritted teeth with a 'yes dear') to have a look. If this is the price I have to pay for one night away at Stoneleigh, wait until I tell her about Applecross and the rest of my 'events calendar' for 2012!! :oops::laugh: :laugh:

I live in York!

Brilliant guys, thanks again .. .. SWMBO has just delivered more tasks and that is to look at hotels in York as a secondary possibility! :bangshead: This must be a test of my resolve as I agree (through gritted teeth with a 'yes dear') to have a look. If this is the price I have to pay for one night away at Stoneleigh, wait until I tell her about Applecross and the rest of my 'events calendar' for 2012!! :oops::laugh: :laugh:

Typical, you'll find a nice place to stay in York and the Mrs. will think of somewhere else, happens to me all the time.

• Like 1

I don't have these problems. I say where we're going and she just says "yes dear"

I once convinced her we needed passports for the Isle of Wight as we had to get a ferry and cross water we must need them.

Following year I tried it on with a visit to Scotland, "but it's a different country, of course you need passports" "So, why don't you take your passport every week when you go to Glasgow?"

In 43 years of marriage we have only had 2 package beach holidays. All the rest have been in quiet country places.

How about a nice log cabin on the shores of Lake Windermere for SWMBO, three min walk from the center of Bowness and the pubs and restaurants.

http://www.fallbarrow.co.uk/

:) :)

wot he said

we go to fallbarrow in the motorhome, as steve says very close to the centre of bowness but also has a cracking bar on site :):t-up:

Fallbarrow park is very good