Silly Question Time !

Joeb_444

I am fitting the front anti roll bar and have torqued up the top fittings as instructed in the manual. My silly question is this, how free should the top wishbones be to move in relation to their mounting points ? mine simply bounce around their rubber bushings and there is I imagine little or no movement available in respect of their central steel bush on the mounting bolt ?.

If this is a stupid question I apologise in advance.

That's it. The tube through the centre of the rubber part is clamped tight by the bracket on the cars chassis, while the outer tube of the bush is almost an interference fit in the eyelet of the wishbone.

That's why the bolts running through the centre shouldn't be torqued up untill the car is resting on its wheels, with roughly the right ride heights set and all major parts fitted. Otherwise you'd effectively bill a preload into the suspension. You'd also wear the bushes out faster too.

Thanks Gadgetman ........ I had read about not torquing things up at the front of the manual, however the anti roll bar instructions at the rear led me astray . I have loosened all off and cleaned off loctite !

I see you are in Cheshire only a few miles from me ... sadly it is all sea ! Thanks again.

:laugh: yes, quite a deep puddle in the way!

I see what you mean on the roll bar instructions. But yes, the tighten once sat on the wheels bit of the manual, takes precedence over the roll bars tighten that top bolt instruction.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe - I'm over on the IoM from 6 -9 July with the Westie - fancy meeting up?

Joeb, I don't think there is such a thing as a silly question in this forum. If you don't know something about your Westie and need to know it, then it would be silly not to ask!! :t-up: :t-up:

• Like 1

Joeb, I don't think there is such a thing as a silly question in this forum.

...but there are some silly answers!

Rory's Dad

Too true, In fact I think I've been responsible for one or two. :down: :down:

Joe - I'm over on the IoM from 6 -9 July with the Westie - fancy meeting up?

Would love to, our blog at iomwestfield.blogspot.com has a contact address I will get straight back to you. Paul.