The Gardening Thread.... Sow Your Seeds And Scatter

sweet orange

I seem to have stumbled in to some strange alternate reality...

:p

:d :d :d

• Like 1

I know what you mean Gadgetman, my back garden is called Sainsburys!

Couldn't go back to supermarket veg, carrots and apples don't taste of anything, bananas are never ripe and it's pointless buying different varieties of supermarket spuds, they all taste the same.

Same goes for meat, supermarket meat is too full of water. Notice they use sneaky tricks like labelling packets with 'matured for 21 days' ... they're not allowed to say it's been hung, just matured, which means absolutely nothing and adds nothing to the flavour but they charge a quid a kilo premium on a marketing label.

Supermarkets are runining our food to maximise their profits. Buying direct from local farms is cheaper and far tastier.

Funny you mention that supermarket food is tasteless.

I've never been a fan of potatoes. To me they are tasteless splodge. But, over here the potatoes are wonderful. Sweet and tasty and I really do like them. We haven't had chips for ages, the potatoes are just wonderful boiled.

The same goes for the fruit bought of the market stalls. I'm not a meat fan so can't say if the meat here is better, I suspect it isn't.

But the French wet fish counter in the supermarket is a fish/seafood lovers paradise. I have 6 oysters every week and the No. 3 are just lovely. I'm plucking up courage to get a lobster and cook it. I'll probably wait till we invite our French friends round for a meal - as soon as the house is finished.

And your bread is lovely too. Nice soft white bread that goes stale by the next morning.

The British sliced white loaf barely qualifies as bread, how the heck do they make it last so long without going stale? God knows how many preservatives they must pack into it?

this is my veg patch at the moment. i think it needs a bit more turning yet! Seriously though, can't wait to get my garden back and get the runner beans underway!

DSCN3661.jpg

Fair points dibby. My wife's brother is a butcher and we get all our meat from him and it is miles better than supermarket meat

Ah, the bread. It reminds me of when I was a kid my mum couldn't send me to the bakers, who baked on the premises, as I would nibble the inside on the walk home. She would get a crust with a huge hole in the middle.

We can get sliced, wrapped bread, called American sandwich which we use for toast. I like the bagettes and Lynne likes the pain. we have what whoever goes shopping gets. You're right, it's stale next morning so the trick is, like wine, eat and drink it all in one go.

I have to laugh at folk who have these wine bottle stoppers for "sealing" the undrunk portion of wine. If I open a bottle, I drink it all.

Norman,

Have you sown those beetroot seeds yet or are you waiting for the rotavator to fire up to prepare the soil.

Bob :d:cry::d:cry:

Bob, not yet. HM couldn't quite believe you gave her some beetroot seeds.

I've blown out the fuel line on the tractor so that should start in the morning. Then I've got to start clearing out the gite for Peter (it's still got a lot of our stuff in it from last year.)

Then I'd better get some grass cut before we disappear in a jungle.

Hopefully by then my thumb will be in a condition to sort of use and I can finish the house. Then the cars. At sometime in all that I'll do a patch so HM can plant beetroots.

Thanks, I hope to be enjoying some beetroot soup before too long. In eastern Europe it's called Borscht.

Enjoy whatever grows as long as its edible and legal ish.

Bob :d:cry::d:cry:

• 4 weeks later...

The first bad news of the season..., I think i have over watered the raddish in the greenhouse and they have started to rot.

Good news is the tomato plants have little green tomatos dangling, and everyhting else in the greenhouse is thriving. Outside in the veg plot the pumpkins have started to come through, but the recent poor weather seems to be holding them back a bit.

Off to the Staffordshire County Show later with the mother-in-law and the boy, look at some tractors and have a float around the food hall. :)

Everything I have planted is thriving, Apart from my Garden peas.... The stem has gone black at the base and they seem to be struggling, Any idea's what I have done wrong?

Yes, it's running too rich.