The Gardening Thread.... Sow Your Seeds And Scatter

sweet orange

After a trip to the car boot sale this morning...

(then realising i was missing the Cannock meet up)...

I set to work in the green house replanting the tomato and strawberry plants we bought.

In between the down pours outside i planted a few rows of potatoes where we grew pumpkins last year, think its called crop rotation, but i'm fairly new to this lark.

Also got some cress, leeks and beetroot seeds in some pots.

Fingers crossed for some results to follow.

Any advice / stories ?

Probably better to sow beetroot thinly directly into the ground and thin them out to give them room to expand once they start growing.Not sure if they will transplant, but why not, try can't do any harm let us know how you get on.

Bob :)

Aaaaaaaaaah!!!

I thought this was a car club....

If SWMBO finds out there's garden threads,

she'll be on here. LOL

• Like 1

Says he from the Valley of the Wild Garlic, priceless.

Bob :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

Is it OK to get HM to ask all her gardening questions. Should start next month when a) get the rotovator back here and b) it stops raining.

We've never done anything other than cut grass so it should be fun learning. :)

Its just suprising how much sh!t you have in your head at our age Norm. I didn't know that the Valley of the Wild Garlic was Ramsbottom though, so something new today filling up my rapidly fading brain. Your ground should be either waterlogged or softening up nicely for D day ( digger day). Maybe we should have a ladies section.

Bomb gone.

Bob :cry: :cry:

Lets get back to cars.

Trouble is when learning one new fact pushes one old one out :p

:d

I thought this thread was about "Sow your seeds and scatter", seems I had the wrong idea.

Probably better to sow beetroot thinly directly into the ground and thin them out to give them room to expand once they start growing.Not sure if they will transplant, but why not, try can't do any harm let us know how you get on.

Bob :)

I would have to agree, the best way for beetroot is direct into the ground, and then thin them out to be about 3" apart. they will then happily stay in the ground all winter, or you can pull and store them by cutting the tops

For strawberries, i suggest either a layer of weed fabric, or lots of straw to prevent the slugs etc

I would have to agree, the best way for beetroot is direct into the ground, and then thin them out to be about 3" apart. they will then happily stay in the ground all winter, or you can pull and store them by cutting the tops

For strawberries, i suggest either a layer of weed fabric, or lots of straw to prevent the slugs etc

I just thought i would try a few things in pots this year,undercover... apart from the potatoes. Last year we had too much growing and it was difficult to find the time to keep them weed free. We grew a patch of pumpkins last year, and they were much easier to maintain.

The green house work can be done if the weather is a bit dodgy... so when the sun is out i can be out in the Westfield. :t-up: :t-up:

We hang our strawbs up in hanging baskets to keep the slugs off.

Another tip, save your old bogroll tubes, pack them full of compost and plant runner beans in them. When it's warm enough to plant out, just drop the tubes into the ground.

The conservatory window is a sea of seedlings right now. 120 chilli plants planted on into drinks cups, starting off some lettuce, peas, beans, strawberries, tomatoes, rhubarb and some melon plants. Built some raised beds from decking boards this weekend, alternating between the garden and the garage in the showers. A good productive weekend, tools are all hung up on boards in the garage, it's the height of autism!

Good job it rained, I would have been out in the Westie wotherwise and not got anything done in the garden of the garage. Suffering with a sore back this morning though.

• 3 weeks later...

After the recent stoneleigh buzz, its time to get back to work on the veg.

Lots of life to report in the green house, tomatoe plants have trebled in size in under 3 weeks we have raddish, carrots, leeks, onions, beetroot and cress in pots,all jumping into life.

The boy came back from school with a seed potato to plant in a bucket for a competition, and thats coming through well. (need some advice on cheating if needed)

Just ordered some mammoth pumpkin seeds to sow outside in the veg plot.... hope they are seeds for mammoth pumpkins and not just big seeds!

Good news.

Our beans and peas went in over the weekend. Tomatoes going well in the conservatory, couple of courgettes in the greenhouse waiting for the end of the month. First half rows of lettuce, radish and spring onions are poking up, time to sow another few of each to keep the crop rolling along