Insurance - Am I Missing Something?

Mat Jackson

Had a renewel quote for my Zetec Westie from footman James - £460. Thought this was a bit steep so tried Frank Pickles and it came back as £160...

Cover seems to be similar, but am I missing something - this is a huge difference?

What should I be double checking before I take up Mr Picjkles offer?

about 150 is about average price for westy insurance I would say

Mat, the answer is in the word "renewal". Insurers give higher prices to renew than for new business because most people don't check, just renew.

The higher quote may just be a symptom of the seemingly common insurance tactic of quoting an increased figure upon renewal in the hope that a certain percentage of people will be apathetic enough to just renew without question. No doubt if you went back to the original insurer with the alternate quote you've received they'd magically manage to sort you out a cheaper deal.

I've adopted an approach now of just going with the cheaper quote and cancelling the original policy, if terms are favourable. not bothering to take part in the 'pantomime'. Maybe if more people people just did this, insurers may do more to issue a sensible renewal quote in the first place?

• Like 2

As long as you've given an accurate description of you and your car, and you know the cover being offered, there's nothing else to check. The renewal note from footman James has just come though for my westy zetec and likewise, shows a big premium increase. As a regular customer, they clearly have us down as suckers. I'll be going elsewhere.

Ben

Maybe the underwriter used by FJ is no longer attracted to the kit car market and so upped their premiums accordingly?

Try A Plan. There's a thread in this section somewhere with the contact details for Claire Ironside there. They have proved to be by far the cheapest for others

Edited to add thread link - http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/92209-thanks-a-plan/

Had exactly the same with Competition Car Insurance. Over £400 to renew....almost choked on my cornflakes.

Spoke to A-Plan yesterday and was quoted around £180 with £150 excess. Think that's very reasonable.

BBC tonight. Watchdog are investigating why renewals are dearer than new policies. Same car, same drive, same broker, same insurer.

im sure they see you as a higher risk to renew. because that you havent claimed for the last year and the law of averages states that at some point you will claim.

personally its all a big con i usually just make up a figure that i was quoted from another insurer when i get a quote and they usually seem to be able to match it

£160 seems about right with F. Pickles, I pay £145 with a 4000mile limit at F. Pickles. All ins. cos. up the renewal cost and hope you don't notice when you are paying by direct debit :d .

Now, will F.Pickles double or treble my premium when it comes to renewal time on my policy.

Another vote for Frank Pickles.

116 quid all in for me.

mine came in at £304 as renewal from a/flux

frank p came in at £150 for same cover from SAME ins. co (kgm)

af called me to find why i had not renewed...

and then said they would beat mr p price...too late mr.p had my cash

bad way to do buisiness i call it

Which of the insurers give a discount for WSCC membership? I know Footman James do, but what about the others?

As to how much is a reasonable premium for a Westfield, surely it must depend on the specification of your car? Also, what if any mileage limit you agree, and what your age is?